Need Help with Vermont Castings Winter Warm Small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isuphipsi1052

Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Upstate NY - Near Rochester
On the advice of this forum I purchased a stove top thermometer (Condor ChimGard). Fired up the stove last night. I placed the device on top of the stove (the part that protrudes into the room), the highest temp. reading the I had (after more than 2 hours), was 250 degrees. Far less than what I believe I should be getting. Even though the stove was producing a great amount of heat, had a great coal bed, and seemed to be burning great. What am I doing wrong? Any help would from someone who owns this model would be very greatly appreciated...

Was it heating that room? I don't know much about that model, so I can't help with your question, but I am wondering if you figured out what the deal was with the amount of heat it's putting out.

so what did you do to get more heat out of it? Dry wood? Cleaned CAT? Good Karma? Inquiring minds want to know.

Never have had a problem getting it to heat the house, I just don't understand why the new thermometer that I placed on it doesn't get higher than 250 degrees. I've got to imagine that inside the fire box the temperature is at least 475-500 degrees. Perhaps I should have chosen a different type of thermometer.

That stove has quite a few chambers around it, and I don't think there is an accurate single wall part of the stove that does not have convection chamber or combustion air washing over it. Therefore, you can only use the therm on a relativel basis.

Where exactly is the thermometer being placed? It looks like most surfaces on the WinterWarm are not in direct contact with the firebox, but are air channels for the circulation of room air. Will the thermometer fit on the upper left or right door face just out from the glass where it curves at the corners?

It may be able to fit on the front door (upper corners) near the glass. Do you think I would get a more accurate reading in that location?

You can;t really measure the stove temp in a WW with one of those - there aren't any places to put it in contact with the firebox. The 'best' way is to get one of the cat. probes to insert inthe stove's backside.

Otherwise you might be able to get one with a lead and get it on the firebox through one of the side panels.

I did some 'testing' with mine, and got pretty good at judging when to hit the cat based on the temp of the air blowing out. Basically if the air soming out the top blower is so hot you can;t hold your hand in it for 5 sec, then it's time to hit the cat. Typically also get a lot of creaking and popping as the cat lights off. If I don't get the popping, mine isn;t hot enough.

Steve

Yes,I think the readings will be higher, though as Craig mentioned, it will be relative as it's not the stove top. Worth a try. This is a case where a built-in thermometer would be a really nice option.

Had I known about the probe type of thermometer, I would have probably had one installed when the unit was put in last year. I believe the insert would have to be removed in order for the probe type thermometer to be installed, is that correct?

It is also possible, although somewhat unsightly, to use the lead-type thermometers mounted up against the firebox at the side, or even strung through the door/base. Most WW's have two unexplained holes under the ashpan, from which you can run a thermometer up inside to the back of the firebox. Not a bad idea to dab a little furnace cement over the hole when you're done.

I've even used a regular remote-read kitchen thermometer. Stick the probe in the top between the air control and the cat lever, with the fan cut back to low. When the temp hits about 350 on the airstream, you can be pretty confident the temp inside is hot enough to cat. If I'd been thinking harder, I might have put the cat-thermometer in, but it's kind of ugly and not too necessary once you get a feel for things.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I may give that a shot.

Thanks to all for the advice. It is greatly appreciated. As a firefighter it just goes against my nature to have a fire (no matter how controlled) in my house. But alas, the wife won out on this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.