need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
i'm in the middle of disassembly of my hearthstone 2 and need a little of assistance.
if there is anyone out there that has rebuilt one i'm trying to figure out what keeps this thing semi airtight. the stones are all held together with this strip of metal

1: does this strip of metal just sit there by itself or is there cement with it?

2: the secondary burn tube looks like it is missing something where the cover is on the outside there is a 3/8 inch space between the cover and stones/air tube. is this right?

3:the damper also has some slopp on the out where it meets the stones. what goes in there to take up the space?

can of worms. tried to take out the back liner plate and it was so damaged from a hole and severely warped that i had to take out the secondary burn tube and the side liner plate to get it out. in two pieces. and to make that easy it took off the top with the stones in it. was that heavy. bought the stove used. the people that owned it before me never cleaned it. they burned coal in it and the ash got behind the liner plates and started pushing them away from the stones.

if somebody has pictures of the secondary cover on the side i'd love to see it.

thanks
frank

Hi FBelec,

Didn't you ask me a bunch of questions about my Heartstone II I rebuild? If not, that is OK.

Here are the answers:
1) when you reassemble the cleaned stones for the top, you must install the metal strip with a little furnace cement in each groove. Push together and set it down in the furnace cement on the top of the frame.
2) The secondary burn tube is fine. It expands when it heats up and it will close nicely. remember, NEVER use the cover. It is only to be used to kill the fire when the stove overfires.
3) I do not know what slopp means. The dampler is just a metal plate that flips 90 degrees from open to closed. there is still a large opening open even if the dampler is closed. It is not supposed to be airtight.

Please explain the secondary cover on the side. If I know what it is, I can take a picture for you.

Thanks

Carpniels

hi Carp

yes that was me that asked a million questions.
i didn't ask any more because i thought i asked to many questions and i thought you got rid of it because you couldn't make it fit. i wasn't aware that you still had it. the cover i'am speaking of is the cover that blocks air into the secondary burn tube.

i think there is more space than i said earlier between the cover that shuts off the air to the secondary tube. there is 3/8 of a inch between that cover and the stone and the tube is recessed in a 1/4 inch more.

the slop i mean is the rod that goes thru the stone that has the damper attached to it. moving up and down quite a bit. it's like putting a 3/8 inch rod thru a 1 inch hole. i was thinking of stuffing the hole with door insulating rope.

now that i know that i should use furnace cement in between the stone with that piece of metal that means i might have to take apart the whole stove. when they built this stove they didn't put any cement in with the pieces of metal. they just put in the pieces of metal between the stones and cemented the inside of the stove where the stones meet. i think that was in case someone had to replace a stone. i took off the whole top where the stones sit. that made the job of removing the back and side liner a whole heck of alot easier but i notice that all the stones are moving when i had to fight to get the secondary tube out to get the warped back liner out. like i said earlier, a can of worms.

i was interested in a close up picture of the cover that shuts off the air to the secondary burn tube.

thanks niels

frank

Hi Frank,

If you already asked a bunch of questions, you might as well keep going. We are all here to help eachother out.

Yes, I still have my stove for sale. I put it on this website, on monkeyads.com and on craigslist.com. A few responses but nothing very serious. A few scammers too that wanted to send a bankcheck and have the stove picked up. I don't understand why there is not more interest in this stove. Price is fair, demand seems high. I am waiting until I get back from vacation and then put it in the pennysaver or on Ebay. There is one for sale now on Ebay and I want to see how the bidding goes.

Your spacing for the cover sounds OK. Mine has the same. It is recessed in the stone and there is space between the tube and the stone. I think this tube expands quite a bit when you heat it up to close to 1000 degrees. Not only in length (hence the space between the cover and the tube) but also in thickness (hence the space between the tube and the stone).

If I read you correctly, the slop is actually the damper control? I do not remember how much space mine has, but it wasn't exceptional otherwise I would have remembered. But again, the metal rod will expand a lot with woodstove heat. Try it first when you are done the way it is and fix it later if it leaks too much air.

Did you order the replacement baffle? In the instructions it explains about how the metal fit in the grooves in the top stones before you install them again. I will look if I still have mine. I will scan if I find them. There was a little bit of cement (not much) in the grooves and the metal. I cleaned it all out, applied new cement and put the 2 metal strips and the 3 stone back together and back on the stovetop. Looks good.

I do not know what you mean by the back and side liner. Are those the metal plates in the stove that protect the stones when you throw the wood in the stove? if so, that is a pain. I can see why you had to take the tube out to get those out. But that is costing you a fortune in parts. Is it all worth it? I am worried now that you told me all the stones are moving. Not a good sign. I am thinking that you need to take the entire stove apart in all the small pieces and reassemble it to make it work perfectly. I would hate to see you with a leaking stove taking all the efficiency away.

As you can see, I did not go that far. I never removed the side and back metal plate. They were fine (small crack) but it does not affect the stoves performance. So no need to replace. Just don't throw the wood it but lay it in (as everyone should do anyway).

I will take the digicam home and take a picture. Hopefully I will be able to send it to you before I leave. Otherwise you need to wait 2 weeks.

Carpniels

PS. I hope you will be able to get the stove together properly, because if anyone visits your house and feel the warmth, they might be intested in buying one too. And then you can recommend them to me!!!!!!

absolutely on the recommendation. there is two stove on ebay as of yesterday. one wanted 700.00.

all kinds of pictures would be very helpful.

when i looked at the metal pieces that i could see there was no sign of cement. just the cement on the inside of the stove. i had to take out the inside back liner. it was in two pieces and the big h in the middle was a big hole. and to get that out i had to remove the side one because it was bolted together and in the way.

i think all this work is going to be a pain right where i sit.
but when all is said and done i think it will be worth it.

i had to order the back liner because the plate is fluted and kind of custom made to that stove. 130.00 from woodmans. the top baffle was all sagged woodmans wanted 190.00 + shipping i had a iron shop make one for me for 160.00 that's it now i just reassemble i didn't have to order a damper. that was the only straight piece in there. this stove was way overfired with coal. but i think because it's a stone stove it held up well. that should be a vote of confidence for you stone stove owners.

niels have a good trip.

hearth stone makes and sells a Stove cement that has soap stone in it.
it will match the color of the soap stone and sticks better.

Carp,

Thats the 1000 dollar stove in rome, NY that I really really want but cant afford, right? I'd love to buy it. It'd look great in one of my fireplaces, and I understand it heats like a son of a gun. I just don't have the money. Also, demand for woodstoves is going down significantly right now, as people perceive it is the end of the winter. I bought my Pine Barren Stove for 455 dollars, (and belive me, I don't know where I managed to come up with 455 dollars. I literally was pulling change out of everywhere to make it.) The guy told me it was his first ebay sale, and he regrets not having put a reserve on it of 1000. He just didn't know how to do it.

Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.