Need info on old Grizzly Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zackus

Oct 12, 2019
Western NY
Howdy folks
I bought my house last year and it came with an Old Grizzly wood insert(I'll add photos at the end). My wife and I had the chimney cleaned last year and ran 8 face cord ( we use face cords in Wny) thru it everything ran fairly smoothly I definitely wasn't maximizing my heat output to the max but it did a damn good job.So to my point now the baffle plate cracked and broke at the very end of the season unfortunately and I have no idea how long it was in there for.So my question to you gurus is what should I use to replace that I learned that they use vastly different material then what I saw being used in mine.Do i need a ceramic blanket? Also my blower is started to go should i call my fireplace cleaners/fireplace company to fix or should i just replace?Also if you have any protips on wood inserts I'd loved to hear those too.Thanks a bunch 20191012_200232.jpg20191012_200332.jpg20191012_200338.jpg

My first question is there a stainless liner hooked to the insert and running out the top of the chimney?

My first question is there a stainless liner hooked to the insert and running out the top of the chimney?
No i ran a magnet along it and it was ferrous definitely felt like regular steel tubing.When I got it cleaned last year it wasn't mentioned as a problem or even mentioned at all.

No i ran a magnet along it and it was ferrous definitely felt like regular steel tubing.When I got it cleaned last year it wasn't mentioned as a problem or even mentioned at all.
You need a stainless liner in that case