Need insurance assurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a stove installed next week and I called my Nationwide agent today. He told me that if they know I have a woodburning stove installed I would be dropped. No questions asked. He said homes burn at a rate of 5 to 1 if they have a stove. Is it going to be hard if not impossible to get insurance on Long Island if I get this?

Quadrafire Yosemite professionally installed.

A lot of this is agent related not company related.
Most agents are not employees of companies they write for. And if you have a low percentage of losses, at the very least you get a big bonus and some companies adjust you commision percentage.
So like I said before some agents aren't used to stoves, and are afraid of them, so they aren't likely to want to be involved. Add in that companies are sending out lots of info on stoves and fire pervention this winter. More than usual, and it shouldn't surprise any of us that some agents are going to be difficult.
So find an agent you trust and one will deal with your specific issues.

celtica said:
I am getting a stove installed next week and I called my Nationwide agent today. He told me that if they know I have a woodburning stove installed I would be dropped. No questions asked. He said homes burn at a rate of 5 to 1 if they have a stove. Is it going to be hard if not impossible to get insurance on Long Island if I get this?

Quadrafire Yosemite professionally installed.

This to me seems so biased that it's akin to being a bigot. That response should be illegal and I think that they should REALLY be concerned with making you prove it was installed correctly! (clearances, professionally installed & quality materials used, epa rated stove, etc.)

I don't know, kind of like paying health insurance, going to the Dr. to find out that it only covers physicals, but no part treatment if they find something wrong.

Did that make sense?

Maybe it's regional thing for your area, have you checked with another insurer? Allstate just said "Okay, you're covered" when we notified them of our recent stove installation.

Been lurking about the forum for some time and thought I would chime in on the insurance. I finally called my company (American Family) today and my agent called me back a few minutes ago with good news (I think). I figured he would say no go, but he said no increase and I could install it myself, I figured since I had a manufatured home there would be many stipulations but he said being on a foundation they consider it a home without special stipulations. The only curve ball he threw at me was the stove had to have a UL tag on it. I figure I will still need to get a mobile home approved to meet the stove requirements, and I planned on the Englander nc-30 but I can find no mention of UL approval on thier website or in the manual I downloaded. The wife gave the thumbs up on the stove purchase in feburary, all it took was a $1000 LP bill and she was ready.
Does anyone know if the Englander NC-30 has been UL tested.
P.S. I asked for a chainsaw for christmas, and just found out I have a Dolmar dealer 5 miles from my house.
:cheese:

mayor mcheese said:
...Does anyone know if the Englander NC-30 has been UL tested.

Tested, listed by UL, and certified by the EPA. Great stove. Rick

Thank You Rick !!!
Eased my mind, everything I have read about them sounds great to me. except grounding to the frame, not to sure how easy that will be. Awesome website glad to be a part of it.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.