Need purchase Advice:I read all stickies

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
Hello everybody!

First post here, I’ve read all the intro forum topics and did many searches on wood fire place inserts on the forum.
I. Am. Lost!
I have researched my self crazy on which one to get.

*I live in Tennessee. Home built in 1982
*I’m looking to heat 1245 sqft (downstairs) of a two story house. Open floor plan.
*I currently have a brick fire place with a clay flue that a chimney guy said wasn’t safe.(No way of knowing if he was truthful).

So my question is... with a budget of $1500/$2500 I’m looking for a well built wood burning insert.

With so many brands out there... with my budget... any recommendations I should look at?

Ay I should steer clear of?
Here’s my fireplace
Need purchase Advice:I read all stickies

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everybody!

First post here, I’ve read all the intro forum topics and did many searches on wood fire place inserts on the forum.
I. Am. Lost!
I have researched my self crazy on which one to get.

*I live in Tennessee. Home built in 1982
*I’m looking to heat 1245 sqft (downstairs) of a two story house. Open floor plan.
*I currently have a brick fire place with a clay flue that a chimney guy said wasn’t safe.(No way of knowing if he was truthful).

So my question is... with a budget of $1500/$2500 I’m looking for a well built wood burning insert.

With so many brands out there... with my budget... any recommendations I should look at?

Ay I should steer clear of?
Here’s my fireplace
View attachment 231022

Thank you!

Is that budget for the insert liner and install or just the insert?

I can also see your hearth extension has a substantial crack where it meets the firplace. This could mean it is not properly constructed or supported.

Well... that was just the insert. I was going to pay a local chimney guy to install it, and help him. It really doesn’t look too difficult to DIY...but this is fire we’re dealing with.

Yes your correct about the gap. It’s about 1/4 inch in diameter. The foundation it’s under is well supported, no clue why it cracked. Any thoughts on this?

Well... that was just the insert. I was going to pay a local chimney guy to install it, and help him. It really doesn’t look too difficult to DIY...but this is fire we’re dealing with.

Yes your correct about the gap. It’s about 1/4 inch in diameter. The foundation it’s under is well supported, no clue why it cracked. Any thoughts on this?

What is under it? Is there a slab or is it on framing?

And if that is just for the insert you will have some options.

Might be worthwhile to measure the fireplace to see what would fit in there.

Yes just the insert. I’m thinking another $1000 for flue, installation etc.

$1000 is on the low side for a good install.

Well, I would cut the iron Baffel back, notch the bricks, clean it out, and have the whole system in the Den. They would just hook it all up essentially.

Still you need to pay for the liner the insulation and all components. The chimney needs cleaned very well. And the blockoff plate needs fabricated and installed

Still you need to pay for the liner the insulation and all components. The chimney needs cleaned very well. And the blockoff plate needs fabricated and installed

Okay I’ll get quotes.
So with that said... and my budget. What are some quality options for inserts?

Others will be able to give you better input on stoves i know chimneys more than stoves. I can tell you regency has some inserts in that range but there are many others

You'll probably need a liner for the chimney, which may cost most of your install budget.

If your budget doesn't have any wiggle room, and you don't have a good source of dry wood already stockpiled, you may have better results improving your air sealing and insulation. Then looking at the insert again next year.

You'll probably need a liner for the chimney, which may cost most of your install budget.

If your budget doesn't have any wiggle room, and you don't have a good source of dry wood already stockpiled, you may have better results improving your air sealing and insulation. Then looking at the insert again next year.

I may be wrong... but if the chimney had a clay flume, and a 25’Duraflex 6” 304 Alloy chimney liner is used or similar (about $600) would that work?

I am actually looking to install it in February. My family doesn’t do debt anymore so I’m saving cash now.

I have been cutting wood around the property mostly hickory, some dead trees, some live and stock piling wood now.

I may be wrong... but if the chimney had a clay flume, and a 25’Duraflex 6” 304 Alloy chimney liner is used or similar (about $600) would that work?

I am actually looking to install it in February. My family doesn’t do debt anymore so I’m saving cash now.

I have been cutting wood around the property mostly hickory, some dead trees, some live and stock piling wood now.

If it comes with an insulation kit it will work ok.