Need Recommendation if I Replace My Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I just do not understand how water is getting in there, unless negligent incompetent install.

Parallax how large an area are you heating? The Alderlea T5 Classic LE comes enameled. This is a 2 cu ft stove with the same firebox as the PE Super. It's a good performer.

The original Hearthstone Manchester had a weak side door hinge and latch. They upgraded it at some point so the age of the stove may be important. I think the original came out around 2012? If so, and looking for used, try to find one newer than say 2015.

Post a picture of the rust. I honestly doubt it even needs fixed. Chances are it's nothing but aesthetic
Attached are some photos of the rust. I had to disassemble the cat probe before removing the top panel, as it would not pull out.

IMG_20211113_170956.jpg IMG_20211113_170950.jpg IMG_20211113_170947.jpg

Do not show your wife pics of the VC line. As mentioned above , high maintenance stove but beautiful.

I would like to see pics of the rust too. I am having a hard time visualizing how water got there…
I see from your signature line that you speak from experience regarding the Vermont Castings stoves.

Reactions: Diabel
I just do not understand how water is getting in there, unless negligent incompetent install.
My guess is the cap isn't keeping the rain out. Just takes a trickle running down from time to time over seven years to create a problem.

Parallax how large an area are you heating? The Alderlea T5 Classic LE comes enameled. This is a 2 cu ft stove with the same firebox as the PE Super. It's a good performer.

The original Hearthstone Manchester had a weak side door hinge and latch. They upgraded it at some point so the age of the stove may be important. I think the original came out around 2012? If so, and looking for used, try to find one newer than say 2015.
Thanks so much. Our house is about 2800 square feet. But we have mini splits so the stove is boosting their performance, not heating on its own. On the other hand, more capacity is good, particularly when it's really cold out since that's when heat exchange systems struggle. In this circumstance, do you think we'd be better off with the T5 or the Manchester?

I'm surprised to see the rust there. It appears to be related to the presence of the cat probe feedthrough - though it is also present at the weld to the collar.

@BKVP, is there a risk of a galvanic couple there?
Either with the material of the cat probe tube, the collar, or the welds?
Have you seen this before? Know the cause (so it can be prevented)?

Reactions: Diabel
I'm surprised to see the rust there. It appears to be related to the presence of the cat probe feedthrough - though it is also present at the weld to the collar.

@BKVP, is there a risk of a galvanic couple there?
Either with the material of the cat probe tube, the collar, or the welds?
Have you seen this before? Know the cause (so it can be prevented)?
True. I wonder if it's not too far gone. Would have to sand off the rust and then perhaps refinish with some sort of sealant. Or maybe just sand off the rust. But then how would one get the cat probe out? The only thing I could imagine is to drill it.

First things first, though -- which is finding the source of water and fixing it.

True. I wonder if it's not too far gone. Would have to sand off the rust and then perhaps refinish with some sort of sealant. Or maybe just sand off the rust. But then how would one get the cat probe out? The only thing I could imagine is to drill it.

First things first, though -- which is finding the source of water and fixing it.
That is really really far from to far gone. Grab the probe with some vice grips and yank it out. Then sand and repaint.

Reactions: webby3650 and rdust
That is really really far from to far gone. Grab the probe with some vice grips and yank it out. Then sand and repaint.
I've tried to grab it with a vice grip and yank. Didn't budge. The metal would have fatigued and the probe broken off. The challenge with drilling is getting right on top of it.

Sanding is easy enough. Repaint with just the high temperature black paint?

Pacific energy T5 has enamel options it’s the only one off the top of my head. Jotul F500 buts it’s brand new and needs a couple more years of data to say it’s reliable.

Douse with favorite penetrating oil. I’d clamp it with vice grips just enough off the top to slide a super bar under the grips and lever it out with slight twisting.

If it breaks off is there enough clearance to drive it down and then pull out the piece?

Reactions: bholler
I've tried to grab it with a vice grip and yank. Didn't budge. The metal would have fatigued and the probe broken off. The challenge with drilling is getting right on top of it.

Sanding is easy enough. Repaint with just the high temperature black paint?
Yes high temp paint. If you have to grind it off flush then drill it out no big deal

Reactions: rdust
Thanks so much. Our house is about 2800 square feet. But we have mini splits so the stove is boosting their performance, not heating on its own. On the other hand, more capacity is good, particularly when it's really cold out since that's when heat exchange systems struggle. In this circumstance, do you think we'd be better off with the T5 or the Manchester?
2800 is a large house, but unless the house floorplan is quite open, the stove rarely is heating the whole house. Personally I would go for the larger 3 cu ft stove. In non-cat, cast iron clad, that is the Alderlea T6 or the Jotul F55 Carrabansett. The Manchester is a good stove, though we don't have a lot of data yet on the new catalytic version. It is a more radiant stove than the T6 or F55 so check installation clearances. It needs 16" on the side for the side loading door.

Reactions: EbS-P

This is below a top (enamel) panel right?
Not sure repainting is needed.

If the probe breaks, either ask a BK dealer to drop ship one to you or get a condar one.

I they had that stove in an enamel finish it might work. Looks like the T5 has a brown enamel version. I'm wondering if it might be a bit small though.
I know the T5 is available in several different beautiful lustrous enamel colors, not sure if the T6 is the same or not.
I am heating roughly 1250 - 1500 sq. ft, not the whole house, bedrooms we like much cooler, however except for bedrooms the balance of our home is of open concept so fairly easy to heat.. We do get some -20° to -30° temps here approx. 15 days per winter, when it gets that cold I am closer to the 1250 sq. ft easily heated then, otherwise plenty large enough to keep us plenty warm the rest of the winter. Depending on how many sq. ft. of your home you wan to heat you may need to look at bigger or perhaps smaller stove, T4 - T5 - T6. I like Jotul stoves but IMHO the PE's because of the one piece baffle and floating firebox they are far easier and simpler to maintain than anything with a cat and/or round secondary air supply tubes or refractory cement.

Last edited:
Pacific energy T5 has enamel options it’s the only one off the top of my head. Jotul F500 buts it’s brand new and needs a couple more years of data to say it’s reliable.

Douse with favorite penetrating oil. I’d clamp it with vice grips just enough off the top to slide a super bar under the grips and lever it out with slight twisting.

If it breaks off is there enough clearance to drive it down and then pull out the piece?
Don't know that it would be possible to pull the piece out. I don't imagine it would do any harm to leave it in the combustion chamber. But isn't the chamber pretty much sealed?

2800 is a large house, but unless the house floorplan is quite open, the stove rarely is heating the whole house. Personally I would go for the larger 3 cu ft stove. In non-cat, cast iron clad, that is the Alderlea T6 or the Jotul F55 Carrabansett. The Manchester is a good stove, though we don't have a lot of data yet on the new catalytic version. It is a more radiant stove than the T6 or F55 so check installation clearances. It needs 16" on the side for the side loading door.
I think we have enough clearance. I am concerned about new technology. With hindsight, it was a mistake to buy the Ashford 30 before the kinks were worked out.

Looks like neither the T6 or the F55 have an enamel option. The Machchester does and so does the T5. I'm not sure my wife will agree to any stove that doesn't have the brown enamel finish, having gotten used to it with the Ashford. If those were my choices, which one would you suggest given the size of our home and the fact that it's to supplement the minisplit system.

This is below a top (enamel) panel right?
Not sure repainting is needed.

If the probe breaks, either ask a BK dealer to drop ship one to you or get a condar one.
Blaze King sent me a new cat probe. They've been good about sending parts. We're negotiating now because the current problems I'm having go back to their having a dealer who didn't know anything about wood stoves. I'm hopeful we'll come up with something that feels fair to all.

Reactions: stoveliker
I know the T5 is available in several different beautiful lustrous enamel colors, not sure if the T6 is the same or not.
I am heating roughly 1250 - 1500 sq. ft, not the whole house, bedrooms we like much cooler, however except for bedrooms the balance of our home is of open concept so fairly easy to heat.. We do get some -20° to -30° temps here approx. 15 days per winter, when it gets that cold I am closer to the 1250 sq. ft easily heated then, otherwise plenty large enough to keep us plenty warm the rest of the winter. Depending on how many sq. ft. of your home you wan to heat you may need to look at bigger or perhaps smaller stove, T4 - T5 - T6. I like Jotul stoves but IMHO the PE's because of the one piece baffle and floating firebox they are far easier and simpler to maintain than anything with a cat and/or round secondary air supply tubes or refractory cement.
Thanks Trevor. Are you heating your place with a T5?

Thanks Trevor. Are you heating your place with a T5?
No, mine is the medium size Spectrum Classic 1999 vintage , with lustrous black porcelain panels on sides and top. The door, legs and trivet are all gold. The Spectrum Classic has since been renamed Super Classic LE in the current PE line up and is available in several porcelain colors and metal finishes. It is both a convection and radiant stove. You can also get the larger Summit version in porcelain finishes and metal plating's. Should you want beautiful stoves and save money on the Alderlea T5, T6 with the same heating performances consider the Super Classic LE and Summit Classic LE they are both beautiful in enamel finishes. The Spectrum Classic, Super Classic LE and Alderlea T5 enameled all have the same firebox, stainless steel one piece baffle and floating fire box.
1999 Spectrum Classic Black & Gold, sunburst door.jpg

No, mine is the medium size Spectrum Classic 1999 vintage , with lustrous black porcelain panels on sides and top. The door, legs and trivet are all gold. The Spectrum Classic has since been renamed Super Classic LE in the current PE line up and is available in several porcelain colors and metal finishes. It is both a convection and radiant stove. You can also get the larger Summit version in porcelain finishes and metal plating's. Should you want beautiful stoves and save money on the Alderlea T5, T6 with the same heating performances consider the Super Classic LE and Summit Classic LE they are both beautiful in enamel finishes. The Spectrum Classic, Super Classic LE and Alderlea T5 enameled all have the same firebox, stainless steel one piece baffle and floating fire box.View attachment 288985
That's about the most attractive steel stove I've ever seen. Would have taken it for cast iron, at least in the photo.

That's about the most attractive steel stove I've ever seen. Would have taken it for cast iron, at least in the photo.

Funny to read that. I have a BK Chinook 30.2. And I love how it looks. Wouldn't for the life of me want anything else in my home.

Taste - a funny thing.

I hope you either get the Ashford in proper shape, or find a good quality enameled stove. (I didn't know the hearthstone hasn't proven itself (yet)).

Good luck!

Reactions: Parallax
I know of no stove manufacturer still offering gold plating on any model nowadays.
Todays Super Classic LE or Summit LE are just as beautiful in various enamel colors, great choices if you do not want to spend all that extra $$ on enameled cast iron. We wanted a stove that was not only a heating appliance but a beautiful piece of furniture we looked at 12 hours a day 365 days per year since April 1999.
summit-classic-le-sunset-red-hero.png