Need some advice!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huntview

Hearth Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montgomery County, MD
Live in a 700 sq. ft. house which is heated solely by wood stove, currently a Buck Stove Model 18. Disadvantage of the current stove is the short burn time (6 hours). Am away Monday-Friday for 12 hours/day and come home to a cold stove and house, not to mention usually having to get up at 2 or 3 a.m. to reload the stove. Was advised to get a DutchWest 2461. However after reading the forums, it seems Buck Stoves are preferred over DutchWest. Now I don't know what to do!!! Next Tuesday (10/19/2010) is the installation, please advise!!

If that is a new 2461 you are going to be fine. Maybe too fine. That is a pretty good sized stove for that space. You have to make sure you have good dry wood and be sure to learn how to operate that catalytic converter by the book.

Folks here can advise along the way as you learn to burn in that puppy.

Cancel your installation date and buy a Woodstock Keystone or Fireview. I garauntee you will get 12 hour burns with good dry hardwood and will get to sleep through the night waking up to a warm house.

Todd said:
Cancel your installation date and buy a Woodstock Keystone or Fireview. I garauntee you will get 12 hour burns with good dry hardwood and will get to sleep through the night waking up to a warm house.

+1 . . . while I love my secondary burning Oslo . . . given the size of your house I'm thinking a nice cat stove with the ability to go low and slow on a clean burn would be perfect for you.

Have you thought about a pellet stove? You could program that thing to your schedule, no need to keep the house at a comfortable temp while you are away for so much of the day. I almost bought a Harmon Pellet stove but since I had free wood I went with the Lopi Endeavor. You could program the pellet stove to start warming the house a couple of hours before you get home, just a thought.

firefighterjake said:
Todd said:

+1 . . . while I love my secondary burning Oslo . . . given the size of your house I'm thinking a nice cat stove with the ability to go low and slow on a clean burn would be perfect for you.

+2 Woodstock Fireview is top notch and will perform excellently for you if you have good fuel. If you don't have good fuel, no stove will perform well for you.

sixman said:
Have you thought about a pellet stove? You could program that thing to your schedule, no need to keep the house at a comfortable temp while you are away for so much of the day. I almost bought a Harmon Pellet stove but since I had free wood I went with the Lopi Endeavor. You could program the pellet stove to start warming the house a couple of hours before you get home, just a thought.

Bhhlllaaaahhhh.. Boooooooooo!!

logger said:
sixman said:

You know, I have given this advice also.. "IF" you have to buy your wood. Obviously, no pellet trees on my property. But if I had to buy fuel, I would definatly have thought about a pellet stove. and a small genny in case the power is out..

logger said:

{snicker,snicker) that was funny.

BUT - pellet stoves do have there place...it just ain't at my place. ;-)

The DW 2461 is a good quality front and side loading cat stove that has been in production for 25 years. And at a good price point. It will do the job just fine.

And (ducking) looks better than a Fireview.

BrotherBart said:
The DW 2461 is a good quality front and side loading cat stove that has been in production for 25 years. And at a good price point. It will do the job just fine.

And (ducking) looks better than a Fireview.

rotflmao!
Watch out BB! Don't want you to get hit by a flying woodstock

iceman said:
rotflmao!
Watch out BB! Don't want you to get hit by a flying woodstock

Can't help it. That DW is a nice looking wood stove. Doesn't look like a Buddhist temple with a fire in it. :coolsmirk:

Nothing to offer here, but just wanted to say this thread ACTUALLY made me "LOL" for real, twice now! LOL!

Hey guys! This is pretty funny actually....I ask a question and then y'all fight amongst yourselves!!!

I learned this past winter that when the power went out, having a wood stove is advantageous over my electricity loving neighbors. I kept warm and was able to toast an english muffin and heat water for coffee while they were looking for hotel rooms in deep snow. Thus, it is important to me to not rely on anything that requires electricity (i.e. pellet stove). My house is not well insulated and I have no intention of putting any more money into it as I plan to sell it within the next 2 years. Thus, I just need to get through the cold months with a stove that will burn for longer than 5 hours.

What I am (slowly) learning is that the Buck stove I have is non-catalytic and the DutchWest is catalytic which is a different beast. I think the complaints I've read about the warping are due to improper handling of the catalytic converter. So, I will have a lesson at the fireplace store on the correct way to light the stove and hope all goes well.

I appreciate all suggestions. The Keystone stoves are nice, but the website didn't have updated prices and they cost more than the DutchWest. Thank you again and will keep you posted on the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.