Need some ideas quick!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace

Oct 8, 2011
Prescott, AZ
Alright....so I went and picked up all my supplies to install my chimney. The pipe dealer said all the order was in. Well low and behold the chimney cap is not in!!! Won't be at the store for at least a week! I have 3 guys coming tomorrow to help with the install and set the stove on the pad. I leave next Saturday for a whitetail hunt in PA and need to have the stove operational. Is there anything I can do to make a half assed chimney cap so I can use the stove? It is duratech triple wall. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Nothing has gone easy lately!

My local Ace has some nice ones in stock. Try them if you have one locally. Maybe a stove dealer? You still have a week, dont sweat it Wallace. Youll be just fine.

You don't need a cap to burn. I'd just burn it and install the cap later.

Todd said:
What about rain?

Wallace said:
Todd said:
What about rain?

You should be okay for the short term.

And you're in Prescott. Based on your 10 day forecast there isn't even a chance of a cloud stopping by. :lol:

As long as your burning a cap is totally unnecessary. I went without a cap for over a year and just bagged the pipe when stove wasn't in use. Got surprisingly little rain in the bag. Never knew a thing while burning.

Lots of folks never have a cap on their chimney. I wouldn't do that but for what your needs are I wouldn't be concerned. If so, get a cheap one to put up for now.

Loco Gringo said:
My local Ace has some nice ones in stock. Try them if you have one locally. Maybe a stove dealer? You still have a week, dont sweat it Wallace. Youll be just fine.

+1

cass

Even if it rained when burning, I would think any moisture would evaporate before going down the pipe. I wouldnt sweat it at all.

You can get a "shanty cap" at the hardware store for around ten bucks to put on it till the other one comes in.

BrotherBart said:
You can get a "shanty cap" at the hardware store for around ten bucks to put on it till the other one comes in.

BB is 100% correct.....if yer using 6" class A pipe, you'll need to get an 8" single wall rain cap....that will hold you off till you get back home.....and BTW, why are you coming to PA to kill our deer?.....lol...just kiddin, have fun and hope you get a big'un.....

If you're not going to be home, just tape a plastic grocery bag over it. You maybe more likely to have a bat or bird investigating it than raindrops in AZ.

logger said:
Even if it rained when burning, I would think any moisture would evaporate before going down the pipe. I wouldnt sweat it at all.

Completely wrong.

Moisture entering the chimney isn't the concern. Starting a brush fire in the neighborhood is the issue.

A chimney cap also functions as a spark arrestor. In a dry environment like Arizona, where the brush can be tinder dry at certain times of the year, a spark arrestor is a critical safety device - even with a cat or secondary burn chamber equiped stove.

I wouldn't run a stove without a cap in a place like Prescott, Arizona. It may even be prohibited by his local building code.

He needs to get a cap - or not use the stove. Seems simple to me.

Biff_CT2 said:
logger said:

Completely wrong.

Moisture entering the chimney isn't the concern. Starting a brush fire in the neighborhood is the issue.

A chimney cap also functions as a spark arrestor. In a dry environment like Arizona, where the brush can be tinder dry at certain times of the year, a spark arrestor is a critical safety device - even with a cat or secondary burn chamber equiped stove.

I wouldn't run a stove without a cap in a place like Prescott, Arizona. It may even be prohibited by his local building code.

He needs to get a cap - or not use the stove. Seems simple to me.
I have a pretty big area of "defensible space" around my house and this time of year you almost have to put gas on anything other than grass to get it to burn. We got a full days worth of rain the other day so everything is moist. I am gonna get a cheap cap until my duratech cap comes in:) I wouldn't burn if I thought there was going to be a wildland fire risk! Considering I put those things out for a living:)

Status
Not open for further replies.