need stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avanderheuel

Nov 27, 2010
Harrisville MI
Ok so I just bought a 950 Sq ft concert block house. It's "beamed" too. I am looking to put a wood stove in it asap. Now I want something with a good burn time but also don't want to be blown out of the place. Any recommendations?

Do you mean a concrete block house? Is it fully insulated? If not, don't worry too much about overheating. Come midwinter uninsulated block walls will suck out heat like a magnet.

Tell us a bit more about the place so that we can help refine options. Is it one or two story? Open or closed off floor plan? Insulated or not? In what area are you thinking of putting in the stove?

Ha! Yes concrete. .darn auto correct.

It's a single story 2 bedroom. Kitchen and living room are open floor plan. There is some insulation and I plan on adding more next spring. I'm thinking of putting the stove right by the front door.

LOL, I get that all the time. If the intent is to burn 24/7 consider either a cat stove from Blaze King or Woodstock. In non-cat look at least a 2 cu ft stove like the Pacific Energy Super 27/Spectrum or Alderlea T5.

Last edited:
Will locating the stove near the front door put the chimney on the short slope of the roof? You might want to rethink that plan if that is the case. Depending on the stove choice it could want about 15-16' of total flue to draft well. Some will work with a little less,but still this could mean 8+ft of shiny stainless right up front outdoors. That might not look too pretty right at the entrance to the house. Just a thought.

That may work but overnight burns will be more of a challenge. The stove will need more space for clearances to combustibles. They are a radiant design. I would look at a Morso 2B Classic for that option. Compare it's clearaance requirements to the PE Alderlea T5 or Blaze King Ashford 20 or 30.

What style or look stove are you after. Black steel box, cast iron, soapstone, classic look or contemporary?

I really like the look of the jotul f602. But don't think that stove will do what I need it to. I'm looking for classic look. If the Vermont Bun wasn't $$$$$$ I look hard at that one.

Yes, that is a good, small stove. I have one of the older version. Note its clearances. The Morso takes a bit longer piece of wood. With either, in very cold weather you will be refilling it every 4 hrs or so.

A good stove is an investment. They are expensive, but if the stove saves say $1000/yr in heating costs then its ROI is not too long. And if the area is prone to power outages the stove's value is near priceless. A good stove is going to give you longer burn times and a long life of service.

Note that to get the benefit of a good heater you must burn fully seasoned wood. The number one problem we will be seeing here in a couple months will be new stove owners complaining about their stoves not heating well. 9 times out of 10 this is not the stove, it's the wood. The other times it usually is either the installation has too short a chimney, the stove is undersized for the task, or the owner is still learning how to run the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.