Need suggestions- Wood stove attached to fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Phil T

Jul 8, 2020
Siler City
Need some suggestions please. I have an existing fireplace (now with gas logs). I would like to replace with a wood stove that would sit on the hearth in front of the opening (not a wood burning insert). Dimensions for the opening are 41" wide and 31" high. The width of the outer hearth is 16", and the depth of the inner heart is 26". Picture is attached. What type of stove would work?
IMG_9450.jpeg

I used a VC Encore as a rear outlet in type installation you describe. I installed it myself. It was tight. I do not recall the dimensions and the stove was pulled for a remodel and the chimney taken down. It worked well. The chimney had a Dura-liner system in it. Don't overlook the liner in this install.

You would have to check the dimensions but Jotul F500 F600, Hearthstone Heritage are rear flue stoves

There are several rear-vent stoves on the market, or at least there were prior to the EPA 2020 requirement. How large an area will the stove be heating? How will it be used - 24/7 or nights and weekends? Is Siler City in NC with mild winters?

Sounds like a ~ 2 cu ft stove will suffice. If you have a Regency dealer in the area ask if they have a Hampton H200. A Hearthstone Shelburne could also work and the Jotul F45 v2 might just squeak in there.

Last edited: