Need to cover the wood splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

neverbilly

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2015
Arkansas, USA
I put an old, squirrel-chewed plastic tote over the motor on my splitter. Would you be concerned and cover the rest of the splitter from the weather? Or just grease the ram? Annual rainfall here is 54 inches.

Anything left outside in the elements deteriorates faster than under a roof. It will shorten its life and usefulness.

I use a medium blue tote from Wal Mart that I cut a u-shaped slot in that fits over the shaft end of the engine to keep my engine dry. The rest of the splitter sits out in the elements, and has for 28+ years, with only some UV damaged tire replacements (1 set) to show for the weathering. Going to replace the hydro hoses this winter as a precaution.

Ya know... just looked at my splitter. Standing vertically, I could put a tall garbage can over the top of the beam and it would go down almost to the wedge. That would sure last longer than buying a fabric cover that they sell for $40; the latter would probably last 3-4 years. With the old tote cover on the motor, everything that moves is pretty much covered.

When I grew up on the farm, we did not have an implement shed at all. Equipment sat out. I know that is not ideal but large equipment sheds cost a bundle. Many/most farmers in our area did the same.

Most of my stuff sits outside. Motor has a tarp on it, everything else that moves gets a shot of WD40 or a greasing. I fold the tarp up until it is about the size of the engine, use bungie cords to tie it town, and it's fine outside indefinitely as long as you run it every year. I wouldn't let it sit unused for more than a year though because, just like with a car, the cylinder walls can start to rust just from humidity.

I don't cover the ram or the beam at all though. Rams are made to be out in the elements. Ever try to cover a backhoe digger? Just grease the ram track and enjoy it.

I see a lot of folks around here leaving them in the woods where they work up their wood uncovered all winter but I would personally cover mine. The engine and the hoses as much as possible at the least. I roll mine out a of a shed once a year and split what I have accumulated all at once so mine never sits out in the elements for a prolonged period but when I was a boy my father would leave his out in the wood lot for long spells and he would roll the tires up on some 1×6's to keep it from sinking from freeze and thaw and would cover the engine with a heavy duty trash bag and a bungie. Seems like a relatively easy cheap practice to take care of a investment.

Take a good look at the air cleaner. Mice love to nest in them.

Reactions: TreePointer
I prefer to keep my stuff inside and under cover when possible . . . but that said . . . my uncle wrapped a tarp around his wood splitter's engine for protection against rain and snow and it held up pretty well for years.

Reactions: mark cline
My splitter has a cover and is stored out of the weather (inside)
but non of my equipment is stored outside lasts longer is kept clean
and easier to work on

I've been tarping my splitter in the summer (keeping it setup at my log landing), and then storing it in the barn for the winter. So far I seem to be getting about 2 summers of use out of each tarp, which does seem wasteful. I've toyed with the idea of building a little roll-off hut for it... but haven't had the time.

I give it a good coat of used hydraulic oil every once in while during processing season and then again before putting away for the season. Seems to keep the rust down just fine.