Need/want a diverter valve for my primary loop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
On the primary loop on my GARN, I want to incorporate an actuated/automatic diverter valve (NOT a mixing valve).

I want one to act as a Tee, with the leg of the Tee being the normally closed path. When actuated, the water is diverted 100% down the leg of the Tee.

I would like to incorporate one now as I build my primary loop for my GARN so I can route the return water through a future HX that will allow solar input and a propane fired backup unit.

It needs to be 1.5" pipe thread - and preferably operate on 24VDC via a signal from an in-line aquastat.

Does such a beast exist?

If so, from whence does one procure such beast?

Thanks.

I'm using a siemens skd62 actuator with a siemens rwd62u controller. The skd62 is mounted to a two-way valve but it sounds like your looking for a 3-way valve which they do make.

Google "skd62" and "rwd62u".

Still working on all of the settings but so far I'm happy with them both.

sdrobertson said:
I'm using a siemens skd62 actuator with a siemens rwd62u controller. The skd62 is mounted to a two-way valve but it sounds like your looking for a 3-way valve which they do make.

Google "skd62" and "rwd62u".

Still working on all of the settings but so far I'm happy with them both.

Thanks SDR. I will look into the Siemens products. This is part of my issue - not knowing what equipment exists that matches what I want to do in my head.

There pretty expensive but if you watch ebay - you can find the parts and put the actuator and valve together which is allot cheaper than purchasing someplace. This will give you a place to start as you can start to figure out what certain parts are. One thing that I've learned - different controllers "speak" to valves in different languages - make sure they will talk together. The Siemens I stated above "speak" in volts. Then there is mill-amps and then ohms and probably others I haven't even found out yet. Its pretty confusing.

SDR - I found what I think I need here. It is the right size and configuration. Finding one in the US will be the first challenge. The second challenge will be affording it! I bet it will be north of $400 for the valve alone. I may be getting too sophisticated with what I am trying to do.

steam man said:
Here's a link for good reference.

https://estore.industrialcontrolsonline.com/Default.aspx?page=category search results&CatList=338&Parent=39&tree=14*Valves*0@@34*Belimo+Control+Valves*0@@39*Belimo+3-Way+Globe+Valves*338@@

Mike

Thanks for the link Mike. The valve alone is over $500, then whatever the actuator costs. It makes more sense for me to just set up the backup loop as another secondary loop with closely spaced Tees and a circulator. I did not realize what I was getting into as far as cost with the diverter.

I have a number of Honeywell VC5013 valves but they are rated for mixing up to 1 1/2". I think diverting is something like 2 1/2" and up. I got them off ebay. I suggest you keep looking on ebay and other industrial closeouts. You can get them for a fraction of their original cost. It just takes time and patience. Something will show up.

Mike

an other option is to install a 1-1/2 ball valve and us a acuator to turn it on and off. There are many such actuators on ebay that are controled with 24v's. just search for valve actuators and keep checking.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.