Need wood boiler installer / engineer for NoVa or Washington DC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lairdreed

Jun 23, 2011
DC
I am updating my gas boiler from 30yrs ago with a variable condensing gas boiler but also want to put in a wood gassification boiler and some storage at the same time. Would love to get a few quote and the right design (primary secondary...) working within the confines of our exising heating infrstructure.

My second question is if anyone know of a (good) gassification boiler with a glass door so I can watch the fires.

Lastly - love the forum

Thanks,

Laird

Welcome to the forum. Your best bet for getting purchase/install quotes for boilers would be to contact the manufacturers directly via their web sites. Check the sigs from the some of the members recently posting in the Boiler Room, and you will probably get 6 or so good names of boiler makes to contact. They should be able to put you in touch with a dealer of their boilers who services your area. If a dealer doesn't install, they should at least be able to do the leg work to get you one installer contact. Just be aware that this is the beginning of "scramble time" for these folks, with customers trying to get boilers in place for the upcoming heating season. Based on where you're living, perhaps you're in the printing business. I bet that the old, worn-out currency makes great fire starter. Since it gets burned anyway, why not just take it home for your boiler. Doing that might even eliminate a government job and reduce the debt :lol: (bringing up the government will probably get this into the Ashcan)

I would think with a very efficient natural gas boiler, it would not be worth investing in a wood system unless you can get your wood for free.

I know what you mean ... but I like burning wood (or US Pe$os) and have a farm filled with trees that are always falling down and dropping branches abnd the like; will saw them up put them in the barn and then burn them to heat house and pool when they're nice and dry. Will approach some mfgrs and see who is around Dc that can set me up with a combination install that will work...

Thanks all,

Laird

Don't know if there are any gassers with a window in the upper chamber. But my BioMass has a small one in the lower and I don't know what I'd do without it. It is my continual view to the state of the burn and if all is well above in the upper chamber. Looking in the upper chamber would be nice, but seeing the color and quality of the stream coming down thru the ceramic nozzle is now not optional for me. And this is particuarly useful for that first season using a gasser when I was learning how to adjust it. I had some temp gages but not enough the first season to really get a handle on how good/bad it was running. I now have an AZEL sensor displays in the Boiler barn and in my house. The sensor in the barn is where I go from black iron to pex and in the house is on the entrance and exit of the heat exchanger. My 2 cents to you getting your feet wet. Being able to look at the color in the lower chamber has been invaluable to me. Lots of good options here. Read a bunch and you'll get a sense of the guys who are satisfied with their boiler choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.