Need wood ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mstoelton

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2013
SE michigan
Need help to ID this tree. Dead and cut when I scrounged it. Rounds are huge ~400-500 lbs each. It took 2 of us to roll them onto trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_2635.jpg
    IMG_2635.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4906.jpg
    IMG_4906.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 132
Bark looks like red oak. Ive never seen it rot from the inside out. Usually the sapwood gets punked away nd you are lfet with the inside.
But if they sat somewhere in big rounds...maybe.

Reactions: TreePointer
It looks like some kind of Oak to me; whack one in pieces and post a picture of the grain please....

Oak bark.

It was standing dead and cut down into rounds 2 days ago. I scrounged it from the tree service that didn't want to handle the giant rounds.

Will try to split some off tonight. Tried last night and the X27 just bounced off!

It's Hard Maple.

Bark looks like pin oak, but the heartwood doesnt. Split pics will help

IMG_2837.jpg Here is a picture of the split log.

Reactions: jaychino415
One easy way for me to ID oak wood is cuts and splits will smell like oak boards at the lumber yard. No other wood in my region smells like it.

One easy way for me to ID oak wood is cuts and splits will smell like oak boards at the lumber yard. No other wood in my region smells like it.

This is a good way to ID oak. Red smells like vinegar, white smells a little less like vinegar. Pin oak smells like a catbox ;lol

That doesn't look like oak to me. Not sure what it is though

Reactions: nrford
Status
Not open for further replies.