Neighbor moving - Firewood Score? Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi all.

My neighbor is moving and out of the graciousness of his heart, he is giving me his firewood.

He has what looks like three distinct piles.
I can't tell what is what. Any tree species ID help would be appreciated.

I'm located in Bergen County New Jersey.

Firewood 1
Tree_1-a.jpg

Tree_1-b.jpg
Tree_1-c.jpg

Firewood 2
Tree_2-a.jpg
Tree_2-b.jpg
Tree_2-c.jpg

Firewood 3
Tree_3-a.jpg
Tree_3-b.jpg
Tree_3-c.jpg

Thanks!!

#1 could be red oak.
#2?
#3?

1st is maple, others could be also.

I see free firewood, there is definitely some oak in several of the photos. It looks extremely well seasoned/borderline starting to rot. My guess is when you move the wood you will find some pieces that are very light. Still good for shoulder season and fire pits but what do you have to lose?.

indeed; what firewood? Dry firewood. = good firewood. Even if not the most btu per volume (b/c some punky). Free firewood is the best dollar/btu ratio....

The third one might be Dogwood. MIGHT be...
Dogwood makes sense. I was thinking of bigger species, and couldn't figure out what the heck that is.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I'm gonna say:

1. Maple
2. Ash
3. Cherry

Hard to tell for sure though since it's so old and weathered.

think 1 is oak, looks like the same oak in my pile that i cut 2 years ago.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

The neighbor has sold his home so, I have a deadline of the end of the month to move the wood.
It looks to be about a 1/2 cord.

Firewood #1 was a massive tree - at least three stories high. The neighbor took that down 5 years back. They were giving away pieces of the trunk in the front yard.

I took a few pieces of the Firewood #1 (Oak or Maple?). It's nice and DRY.
Tree_1-Moisture1.jpg
Tree_1-Moisture2.jpg

The pins should be parallel to the grain. And was this measured.on a freshly split surface? So you can measure the inside? (The outside will always be much drier.)

The pins should be parallel to the grain. And was this measured.on a freshly split surface? So you can measure the inside? (The outside will always be much drier.)

Hi stoveliker.

I adjusted the pins so they are parallel to the grain. I didn't know I needed to do that. Thank you.

The first pic was freshly split and the other pieces were split and cut down for kindling this afternoon. So far, the pieces have averaging 17% -12% moisture. They sound like bowling pins when I crack them together.

Tree_1-Moisture1-side.jpg
IMG_9451.jpeg
IMG_9449.jpeg

Reactions: D8Chumley
Great! Lucky you :)

Enjoy the heat. This is surely ready to burn!

Reactions: Lakeside
I agree, lots of it is ash.

Here is some Ash I cut about 3 months ago. And yeah had to go outside to see it snowing now when it’s 42f out

AFD02DD5-1109-45D5-8E7D-04EEAA3B389B.jpeg 9BB301AF-D43D-45FE-8BE7-A60E17244ED1.jpeg 67177AAC-5AF2-4EE0-9B5E-B1FD71CD3329.jpeg 696F9DF2-AE75-40E2-887D-29600AFC62BC.jpeg DAE7202A-8C15-4C8D-92D0-12E5A015E33F.jpeg

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes I was going to say, looks like red oak.

Reactions: clancey
1= white oak picture 2 an 3 i don't remember the actual name but it's called up here a weed tree got two cord drying now
2= white oak
3= ??????????