Neo 1.6 or Novo 18

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BonnieMc

Sep 27, 2020
Westfield, WI
Looking to replace a Vermont Castings Aspen in the kitchen of an old farmhouse, that has minimal solar power, btw. (There's a Vermont Castings Encore in another space.) Trying to choose between the Neo 1.6 and the Novo 18. Any and all guidance much appreciated. Should I be concerned that the Novo has a blower which we may not be able to use consistently with our limited power?

Looking to replace a Vermont Castings Aspen in the kitchen of an old farmhouse, that has minimal solar power, btw. (There's a Vermont Castings Encore in another space.) Trying to choose between the Neo 1.6 and the Novo 18. Any and all guidance much appreciated. Should I be concerned that the Novo has a blower which we may not be able to use consistently with our limited power?

Welcome BonnieMc! That is a great question about the blower ... someone who knows way more than me should be around shortly to give you some help.

Looking at that style/size/type stove you may want to peek at this. A rather well respected easier to purchase brand in these circle's.

What are you looking to attain as far as burn time in hours?
Are you going to keep the fire burning 24/7 as part of your main heat supply? Or is this a part time supplement heater?
Do you need the fire to be going while away at work etc. ?
These are all relatively short burn time units that will require tending more often than a larger cu ft unit.

If you want a longer burning stove in that style/size a Blaze King Chinook 20.2 is worth a look. This is a catalyst equipped model with much longer burn time.

I can't comment on the limited power and fan issue.

Welcome Bonnie. A blower is going to help with moving the hot air faster, but it isn't always necessary. We usually only use the blower on the coldest days on our stove because the warm air convects well, naturally. Using the blower helps move more heat toward the farther end of the floorplan in the direction the stove is pointed. In our case that is the kitchen. This varies a lot with the home, stove location, and floorplan. How well did the Aspen heat the space?

Looking at that style/size/type stove you may want to peek at this. A rather well respected easier to purchase brand in these circle's.

What are you looking to attain as far as burn time in hours?
Are you going to keep the fire burning 24/7 as part of your main heat supply? Or is this a part time supplement heater?
Do you need the fire to be going while away at work etc. ?
These are all relatively short burn time units that will require tending more often than a larger cu ft unit.

If you want a longer burning stove in that style/size a Blaze King Chinook 20.2 is worth a look. This is a catalyst equipped model with much longer burn time.

I can't comment on the limited power and fan issue.
I should have said: this is a 'second home' or cabin to us but we use it year-round, and we're retired. Simplicity is key because various friends/hunters/fishers borrow the place. If the weather is really cold, we would also start the Encore but if it's chilly or we're just staying for a day or two, we might just close off this room and use this one stove. We are used to the Aspen not lasting the night if no one gets up to feed it. We don't want anything larger or the space will overheat, from prior experience.
Thanks for the Blaze King idea, however.

Reactions: moresnow
Welcome Bonnie. A blower is going to help with moving the hot air faster, but it isn't always necessary. We usually only use the blower on the coldest days on our stove because the warm air convects well, naturally. Using the blower helps move more heat toward the farther end of the floorplan in the direction the stove is pointed. In our case that is the kitchen. This varies a lot with the home, stove location, and floorplan. How well did the Aspen heat the space?
The Aspen heated the space just fine (a room about 15 x 15) but, of course, it did have to be tended. I would guess that we get 4-5 hours of burn time if we fill it wisely with embers for someone who gets up in the middle of the night to feed it.
You have the Novo? How do you like it?

The Aspen heated the space just fine (a room about 15 x 15) but, of course, it did have to be tended. I would guess that we get 4-5 hours of burn time if we fill it wisely with embers for someone who gets up in the middle of the night to feed it.
You have the Novo? How do you like it?
No, Novo. This is the first I have seen it.

Which stove did you go with Bonnie? I'm looking closely at the Novo 24 for my 1800 square foot home.
Sorry. Haven't been on this for a long while. We got the Neo 1.6. We do like it but it is an adjustment. Loading a stove in that configuration is a little different than a long skinny one but we're learning. My one frustration is that the air adjustment from minimal to full is so slight that I can't 'shut it down' as much as I'd like. This may be user conflict in that my spouse and his friends like it HOT and I like it minimal so I would just reduc ethe amount of wood added but they often overshoot me. It also took a little learning to get it started: we now have good results by leaving the door ajar for a few minutes while it's getting started, then add another stick and shut the door. Good to go.