New addition to the wood hauling fleet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I picked up this 4x8 trailer off a Craig's List add yesterday for $115. The tires, including spare, all hold air and the turn nice and smoothly. It's not rusted, and the plywood deck is still solid.
DSC07495.JPG DSC07494.JPG
The owner had built some sides out of 5/4X6 PT decking that I will reconfigure into better sides. His are very big and clunky, but there is more than enough lumber to make something nice. I probably got more than $100 worth of lumber with it.
I bought it for this White Oak project. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/white-oak.95430/ The tree is at a woman's home and she said I can store the wood there until next winter. I figure I can use this trailer to haul rounds from the cutting area to the stacking area. I don't think my little Cub Cadet trailer would survive hauling full rounds of this stuff and it would be too high to lift them too. I figure that it is big enough to load a few rounds on, but not so big that I'll have enough weight to get in trouble pulling it with a garden tractor.

Mine doesn't have the fancy spoked wheels though.

Anything chrome will make something faster and stronger.

Reactions: tbuff

Attachments

• trailer trees.jpg
    trailer trees.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 236
I have one pretty much like that, except I think the wheels are larger on mine. I've never done much over the road work with it, but I have hauled a LOT of firewood, rocks, concrete, brush, kids, etc. It is a good trailer. The thing that's nice about the folding ones is they have the A-Frame tongue...which makes it stronger...but may cut into your turning radius (depending on the tow vehicle). I've been harder on mine that it was ever designed for...and haven't broke anything...yet.

While rebuilding the rails, make the tailgate section taller and fold down. Instant ramp for loading big rounds.

While rebuilding the rails, make the tailgate section taller and fold down. Instant ramp for loading big rounds.

My tailgate gets removed, rotated 90*, then used as a ramp. If it were to flip straight down it would be too steep. His trailer looks a bit lower than mine so that might work.

If it were to flip straight down it would be too steep.

No reason that it can't be taller than the side rails:
100_1050SM.jpg

Reactions: PapaDave
I think its one of the folding ones. Same as I customized.

It is a folding one. Your's looks kinda like 1/2 of mine.

My tailgate gets removed, rotated 90*, then used as a ramp. If it were to flip straight down it would be too steep. His trailer looks a bit lower than mine so that might work.

That sounds like an easy solution.

It is a folding one. Your's looks kinda like 1/2 of mine.

I did customize it in 1/2 size. I wanted a stonger smaller trailer.

That sounds like an easy solution.

Flame paint job is an instant 200HP on a car and 1HP on a saw. Stick on fender vents are punishable by death. Little known facts.

Reactions: tbuff
Was at Lowe's yesterday to get a tube for one of my splitters and in the row with all that stuff they were selling plastic chrome hubcabs for lawn tractors. The set of 4 was something like $30.

Who in the hell thinks of this junk... and who buys it?!

Reactions: HDRock
Was at Lowe's yesterday to get a tube for one of my splitters and in the row with all that stuff they were selling plastic chrome hubcabs for lawn tractors. The set of 4 was something like $30.

Who in the hell thinks of this junk... and who buys it?!

The original Chrome, METAL hub caps from 60s and 70s garden tractors with the manufacture's logo stamped in them are quite valuable now. Don't know if the ones you saw will hod any value though.

These weren't anything like that. Just picture the cheesiest looking plastic hubcaps sold at Walmart... There were about 5 times as "classy"

I replaced the lights and built some side boards for the trailer a while ago.
IMG_0294.JPG IMG_0295.JPG
I use the front and back side panels for ramps.
This way too light duty for much wood hauling, but it was good for moving rounds with the Cub Cadet.
IMG_0618.JPG
Handy for moving the tractor too.
IMG_0611.JPG

I've got about $200 into it now including purchase, new lights, and one inner tube. I had to register it as home made, and that only took about 1 1/2 hours at DMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.