New Allure 50 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ridgeracing

Dec 6, 2017
PA
Stove operates fine except when it reaches set room temp and idles down i believe it feeds to much pellets. It just looks like a little to much pellets at idle position when it has reached room temp. On room temp mode I only see feed rate and I believe that's while calling for heat. Is there an idle adjustment, maybe in a more advanced dealer mode? Going through 1 1/2 bags in 24hrs and rarely calling for heat. This was at 30-40deg. Outside. (1300sq ft 2 story cabin upper NY)
* Haven't ran it in consistently cold temps 0-20deg. To see performance/fuel consumption yet

Last edited:
Have you tried a few different brands of pellets? Softwoods give off the most heat and least ash and may help

The stove is doing what it needs to do to maintain the set temp, yes you can get in with the password and change feed rate but I have tried it and don't notice a difference in room temp, on constant burn it does change the feed but then that is how you adjust the temp instead of with a set temp.

Reactions: Ssyko
The stove is doing what it needs to do to maintain the set temp, yes you can get in with the password and change feed rate but I have tried it and don't notice a difference in room temp,.
That does not change the room temperature but would that save on pellets?

That does not change the room temperature but would that save on pellets?
Honestly Don I haven't really tried it long enough to say how much of a savings would be if any because my house gets to hot running the stove on constant burn and that's with the feed turned all the way down to 1 the lowest it goes and the room blower turned all the way down.

Last edited:
My Allure runs 24/7 heating just shy of 1300 sq. ft well insulated but single story and I'm averaging right around a bag a day right now with the temp set at 73 from 4 : 30 until 9: 00 pm then 72 until 5: 00 am then back to 73 until 7:30 then 70 all day so the OP's use seems pretty normal to me.

Haven't fixed issue, stove is going through 1 1/2 bags in 24hrs while thermostat rarely calls for heat. Thermostat set at 74 and stove is running/showing 76-77. And my room remains is 76/77 shower by wall Thermostat

So what temp do you want it to be?

So what temp do you want it to be?
Its brand new, ran 1/2 ton. I shut down and clean weekly. My main question is how to lower fuel rate when it has reached thermostat setting. When its not calling for heat it still goes threw over a bag and a half in 24hrs. Not even calling for heat as set thermostat reading has been met. Just seems like to much pellets at idle time.

Do you have it in automatic mode? It should shut completely down once it reaches set point and does not call for any more heat for a certain amount of time. If it got switched to manual somehow it will keep a pilot fire until it calls for heat again.

Reactions: Ssyko
Do you have it in automatic mode? It should shut completely down once it reaches set point and does not call for any more heat for a certain amount of time. If it got switched to manual somehow it will keep a pilot fire until it calls for heat again.
I start it up in auto and turn it off after it lights to keep igniter from cycling. I am 90% confident it needs its (idle) feed rate to slow down. It simply puts to much pellet out at idle. I would like to find the code etc. to be able to adjust idle pellet mixture/feed rate. Don't know if this is normal, but at idle I can barely touch double wall insulated pipe coming out of stove 4' up.

So your running in stove temp and disabling the igniter after start up, is this correct, If so why not just run the stove on room temp and let it do it's thing. If you message me I can give you the code but it sure sounds like you would be much better off running in room temp. If your worried about burning out your igniter Harman igniters last for years. Also usually there are enough hot embers still in the pot that by the time the stove calls for heat again you will have fire before the igniter even cycles again. I have only ever run my Allure in room temp since day one that's what i like best about the stove it just does it's thing and keeps the house within 1-2 deg. of set temp.

Last edited:
I agree with Rich2500. If you are trying to save on the igniter switch to manual once outside temp get below 20F. The stove is designed to run in room auto and igniters last years and are less than $100. At 1300 sq.ft. there is not much heat demand at 40F especially if it is sunny. I have a small St Croix stove in my 1600 sq.ft. house and I cant leave it run all day or it will cook me out at 40F outside. If you run to low of feed it can creosote the pipe and they dont want the fire burning real low in the pot and burning up the auger. Harman have been building stoves for many years and have it figured out. Dont try to out smart them. My Harman in the basement runs in auto all winter going on 3 yrs and does a wonderful job. Let your stove do what is is designed to do.

I agree with Rich2500. If you are trying to save on the igniter switch to manual once outside temp get below 20F. The stove is designed to run in room auto and igniters last years and are less than $100. At 1300 sq.ft. there is not much heat demand at 40F especially if it is sunny. I have a small St Croix stove in my 1600 sq.ft. house and I cant leave it run all day or it will cook me out at 40F outside. If you run to low of feed it can creosote the pipe and they dont want the fire burning real low in the pot and burning up the auger. Harman have been building stoves for many years and have it figured out. Dont try to out smart them. My Harman in the basement runs in auto all winter going on 3 yrs and does a wonderful job. Let your stove do what is is designed to do.
I am not running stove temp, I am running by remote thermostat. I will try leaving it on auto ignitor and see how that works. I understand what you are saying about burning to low and possibly burning auger. Thanks for info

So your running in stove temp and disabling the igniter after start up, is this correct, If so why not just run the stove on room temp and let it do it's thing. If you message me I can give you the code but it sure sounds like you would be much better off running in room temp. If your worried about burning out your igniter Harman igniters last for years. Also usually there are enough hot embers still in the pot that by the time the stove calls for heat again you will have fire before the igniter even cycles again. I have only ever run my Allure in room temp since day one that's what i like best about the stove it just does it's thing and keeps the house within 1-2 deg. of set temp.
I am on room temp

I'm running on room temp auto with an Ecobee thermostat hooked to the stove and it starts and stops just fine. I do what rick does when it gets below 15 degrees I switch to room temp manual. Before I installed the Ecobee I ran a Honeywell 20 dollar programmable stat. It worked OK as well. I can control the stove from anywhere with my phone and the Ecobee comes with an extra remote temperature sensor. When running on room temp manual I believe your stove is running at 15800 btus an hour (Harman's stated minimum output) when not calling for heat. That's 1.8 lbs an hour or just about 44lbs a day without ever calling for heat. When it's 40 or above I would also be cooked out in room temp manual mode. At 40 degrees or better if the sun is out my stove might only run 15 minutes in 2 hours or at night maybe 15 minutes an hour.
Ron

Reactions: ridgeracing
I'm running on room temp auto with an Ecobee thermostat hooked to the stove and it starts and stops just fine. I do what rick does when it gets below 15 degrees I switch to room temp manual. Before I installed the Ecobee I ran a Honeywell 20 dollar programmable stat. It worked OK as well. I can control the stove from anywhere with my phone and the Ecobee comes with an extra remote temperature sensor. When running on room temp manual I believe your stove is running at 15800 btus an hour (Harman's stated minimum output) when not calling for heat. That's 1.8 lbs an hour or just about 44lbs a day without ever calling for heat. When it's 40 or above I would also be cooked out in room temp manual mode. At 40 degrees or better if the sun is out my stove might only run 15 minutes in 2 hours or at night maybe 15 minutes an hour.
Ron
The Allure T/C has the programable tstat built in and has a optional remote room temp sensor. Years ago I tried to leave the P38 running and cut the feed back as far as it would go in the basement. I ran it that way one winter and it ended up creosoting the flue piping and I had a small chimney fire and it ruined the esp probe. That is when I bit the bullet and bought all the stuff to convert the P38 to a P43. Best decision ever. It holds room temp within 1-2 degrees.

Ron
Ok, its cold out now, when I run it in warmer temps (30-45) I will try leaving it in auto and see how that works, THX

I don't know why you just don't run it in automatic and forget it. You'll burn less pellets and your temps will be fine. If your worried about igniter failure I think you shouldn't. I went 5 years on auto 99.99% of the time on one igniter. That's thousands of lights with no problems. Don't remember what the new one cost but I know it was well under 100 bucks. I don't know how easy the igniter is to replace on the Allure. If it has the same burn pot design and igniter mounting as a P43 it's an easy job that can be done through the front door.
Ron

Bought a spare oem igniter to keep on hand for my Allure and it was like 89 bucks and yes the igniter installs the same as the P series.