New BK questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DickNitro

Dec 7, 2019
Southern Illinois
Ahoy! Long time reader, first time posting.

I'm looking to get a new BK Princess for my 1700 sq/ft house. While obsessively reading on here, it occured to me that BK wants a 15' flue/chim. I'm at about 13' from top of current stove (same size as BK) to the cap.

Should I just go for the install and add if needed or fix it first?

I should also add that I've only lived here 1.5 years and didnt install the current setup. I cant see a chimney brand to find the correct pieces. Are they universal?
The chimney is currently about 5' out the shingles. At what point do I need a brace?

There will be more questions I'm sure.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:
I am in no way a chimney expert, but I would definitely stick with the same brand of pipe and not mix and match. I would also add a brace if going over 5'. Try the BK first, if you're unhappy with performance and some pipe later. Good luck and enjoy!

Reactions: Highbeam
@DickNitro can you post a pic of the current setup inside and out? For the outside you will need a brace at the 5ft mark. Personally I would run as is and if you have a problem with smoke spillage when opening the loading door you can always add a 3ft section of class a pipe providing you can identify the brand name of the existing chimney.
For the inside black pipe you will need to install double wall pipe, if your straight up from the stove collar a piece of telescoping pipe work awesomely, and if doesn't have to be a matching brand to the ceiling support box, an appliance adapter will work for the connection. If your going through the wall its advised to still use double wall pipe and instead of 1 90deg elbow use (2) 45deg elbows, this will create less smoke turbulence in the pipe which improves draft, also if your going through the wall make sure you have at least 3ft minimum rise between the stove collar and the through the wall connection.

Try the BK first, if you're unhappy with performance and some pipe later. Good luck and enjoy!
I would agree with this advice in most cases, but here the OP is putting a Princess into a mighty small space, and so it’s very likely they’re going for a lot of low and slow burns. We know that going short on the chimney can work in some cases, where the operator does not need a lot of turn-down capability. But we also know that going short on the chimney will always hamper one’s ability to achieve the lowest burn rates for which these stoves are known.

@DickNitro can you post a pic of the current setup inside and out? For the outside you will need a brace at the 5ft mark. Personally I would run as is and if you have a problem with smoke spillage when opening the loading door you can always add a 3ft section of class a pipe providing you can identify the brand name of the existing chimney.
For the inside black pipe you will need to install double wall pipe, if your straight up from the stove collar a piece of telescoping pipe work awesomely, and if doesn't have to be a matching brand to the ceiling support box, an appliance adapter will work for the connection. If your going through the wall its advised to still use double wall pipe and instead of 1 90deg elbow use (2) 45deg elbows, this will create less smoke turbulence in the pipe which improves draft, also if your going through the wall make sure you have at least 3ft minimum rise between the stove collar and the through the wall connection.

Here's setup now. It's a 2003 earth stove. Can bring house from 64 to 84 in an hour! But then it's empty lol! Only burns for 3/4 hrs at a time.

Inside flue is single-wall. Will be going on the roof in a bit for more pics.

Was also quoted a regency pro series f3500 by dealer today. These get long burns? I'm at work 14 hrs each day and having a newborn in 2 weeks. Wife will be busy so need long burns! 20191111_160317.jpg15757517053267952986563139647754.jpg

That question might need a separate thread with the stove model in the title to get a good answer.

With a straight up shot like that, assuming no hidden elbows or offsets, you might get away with 13'.

I'd just try it and see how you like it. If your Princess has chronic smoke spillage or can't turn down far enough on warm days, look into adding a brace and a few feet of pipe at that point.

I can't imagine that you'll be too unhappy with it through the cold part of the winter, though (draft is stronger then due to the temperature difference between inside and outside).

My Princess insert started life with a 12' flue, and it worked perfectly in cold weather, and pretty well in warm weather. It's 15' now and works much better in warm weather.

Nice stove spot!!! Like other mentioned, a straight up shot is the best and you should be able to squeak by with out issues to the current chimney height.
To be honest, the advantage of the BK is the lower end steady heat output, yes the stove can blast heat like any other, but the BK's ability to be turned down for a long steady heat output is very desirable by lots of BK owners, this is why BK says to use double wall black pipe and not single wall, the flue gases when turned down are already cool and the single wall sheds to much heat, so creosote problems can develop in the chimney.
I've been burning a princess ultra for 5 seasons now, I got it pretty much nailed down, I highly recommend getting the blower and convection deck, if one of the walls are on the outside of the building envelope get the oak (outdoor air kit) to.
I personally like adjusting the stove so the flames inside the fire box look like mini candles and keep the blower on the lowest setting so the heat just oozes out, this adjustment gets me 12-14hrs per load and keeps the house at 70 when the outside temps are in the low to mid 20's, the BK has no real issues with keeping the house warm down to the single digits, but if there's a strong wind, or lower temps I'm running at a higher setting with the blower set higher to keep the house in the upper 60's, low 70's but that's more of a house insulation issue.
The regency stove is also a good choice, I think the burn times are a little shorter but it will heat the house (@bholler ) will attest to that.

I own a princess ultra in a 1963 built 1700 sf home with 12’ of all vertical chimney/flue measured from the stove top. I burn for about 9 months per year, 4-5 cords of evergreen trees, in our moderate climate. Sure, I get single digit temps and wind but most of the time it’s above freezing here so we use the heck out of the lower settings and get the awesome long burn times of steady, comfortable, heat with 24 hour reloads.

First, the princess manual for many years required just 12’ of flue. That was true when I installed in 2012 so that’s what I did. I have 4 feet above my roof and a roof brace and additional 3 feet would look dumb.

That single wall you own is trash anyway. It’s used up and like washing machine hoses you would not reuse it anyway. Trash it and put in the superior double wall which will last just as long as the class a and work better.

Your home is not too small. It is normal sized and the princess is a great fit.

Thanks for the advice. I feel much better about the chimney now as well as it suiting my needs
recommendations

That single wall you own is trash anyway. It’s used up and like washing machine hoses you would not reuse it anyway. Trash it and put in the superior double wall which will last just as long as the class a and work better.

Yes. I plan on replacing everything up to the chim with fresh double-wall with pyrometer. This stove setup I'm sure was rad at one time when little bush was prez, but she got some miles now. Cracked tubes, warped Internals crusty single-wall... she gotta go!

I started another thread comparing the regency and BK in case someone out there can get detailed.

You guys are awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Ahoy! Long time reader, first time posting.

I'm looking to get a new BK Princess for my 1700 sq/ft house. While obsessively reading on here, it occured to me that BK wants a 15' flue/chim. I'm at about 13' from top of current stove (same size as BK) to the cap.

Should I just go for the install and add if needed or fix it first?

I should also add that I've only lived here 1.5 years and didnt install the current setup. I cant see a chimney brand to find the correct pieces. Are they universal?
The chimney is currently about 5' out the shingles. At what point do I need a brace?

There will be more questions I'm sure.

Thanks for any and all help!
I'm running at BK's minimum for a King,12 feet never had a problem.

I'm running at BK's minimum for a King,12 feet never had a problem.

It's been changed to 15’ for years no. My 2012 model princess installation manual specified 12' but is now 15' too. I doubt there was a design change but BK decided 15' would be less likely to cause complaints.

Here's the quote from the current king installation manual on the BK site.

"Use a minimum total system height of 15 feet, measured from the stove fl ue collar to the top of the chimney, not including the chimney cap. "

Last edited:
It's been changed to 15’ for years no. My 2012 model princess installation manual specified 12' but is now 15' too. I doubt there was a design change but BK decided 15' would be less likely to cause complaints.

Here's the quote from the current king installation manual on the BK site.

"Use a minimum total system height of 15 feet, measured from the stove fl ue collar to the top of the chimney, not including the chimney cap. "

Beats me ,i'll check my manual,however i've never had a problem and my stove burns phenomenal.the stove i'm now burning was bought in Sept,2015.The BK prior ran as good,both were Kings,newest one a King Parlor.

I think the change in the chimney height requirement probably does not coincide with a change in the stoves. I'm guessing they just got tired of all the guys with 12' stacks calling up in warm weather and saying that their new BK was defective because it was puffing smoke when they opened the door

I think the change in the chimney height requirement probably does not coincide with a change in the stoves. I'm guessing they just got tired of all the guys with 12' stacks calling up in warm weather and saying that their new BK was defective because it was puffing smoke when they opened the door

the change to 15’ occurred right about the same time as the introduction of the 30/20 box stoves that also require 15’. Maybe BK wanted a uniform specification too.