New damper mechanism for the Woodstock Progress Hybrid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m waiting for a callback right now. I’ll let you know what they say.
Thanks, I'd like one too, it would give us more control, sorta fine tune the lower setting.

Boy I sure got a different response from them a little over a month ago when I was at the factory. I've been trying to eek one out of them for a year now and the excuse, as mentioned, the lack of installation instructions. Fair enough, but my comeback was, for free I'll make an installation video as long as I can get my hands on one. (I've done many "how to" videos professionally for major companies). When I was there, they said that the parts for that will be made early in 2022. They also mentioned it was tricky to get right when installing.

Now I'm really curious. What could be so tricky about installing the new one? All I can think of is they are adding some kind of additional gasket that is hard to apply.

Now I'm really curious. What could be so tricky about installing the new one? All I can think of is they are adding some kind of additional gasket that is hard to apply.
They said the same to me on the phone. I told them I already found them online. Maybe this is for the old/current damper?
Oh I sure hope so. I just wrote a rant that I erased as not to embarrass myself. Hopefully it is not this easy as I have been waiting because I needed "detailed instruction". Sounds like some sort of legal certification was needed for the change.

I've got to believe those Air Damper replacement instructions on-line are for the original older damper. Otherwise why would WS tell two
people it's a tricky install when those instructions look straight forward?

WS has always been very forthright on how to maintain their stoves in my experience.
It is frustrating how long the retro kit is taking.

It could also be that there is an adjustment to make sure the lever linkage is "calibrated" to run the full travel. From the looks of it, the orifice area is pretty small when you get down to nearly closed so any error in the linkage could result in a big difference in performance.

These guys aren't idiots. They are dealing with government regulations, its something that could result in an overfire if done by a customer incorrectly, and they are busy dealing with production of new stoves so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. We all want the upgrade but if they had never even come up with this improvement we'd all be fat dumb and happy so keep things in perspective.

Reactions: Tahoe
Anyone heard anything about the new air control? Maybe not going to happen as a retrofit? I'm only assuming that because it's been quite a while and no news...