New Dauntless Flexburn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WNCStove

Jan 17, 2023
WNC
Our flexburn stove is doing a fantastic job heating the main part of our house. As you can see from the photo it’s being used as a hearth stove. The bricks in the arch are very warm to the touch (about 2 sec is all I can touch) and the surrounding area is staying cool and within clearances.

Should I be concerned about the arch bricks absorbing this much heat with only a few inches clearance from the back of the stove and ducting?

302AD9AE-5A0B-4FF5-9685-099821EE02BE.jpeg

Well, bricks don’t burn, so they will be fine. Depending on how that fireplace was made you may have to worry about framing behind it catching on fire. The OP took such a small photo there really isn’t any way to tell if there is any danger from the bricks getting hot.

VC has worked hard through their products and actions to earn their reputation.

Reactions: WNCStove
If that's an all masonry fireplace those bricks getting hot shouldn't be a problem as there shouldn't be any combustibles any where near there. Now how it's actually built is another thing.

When cold they will absorb some heat, when the stove cools you will get some of that heat back. Hope you have a block off plate to keep the heat in.. Good to hear that your stoves running well.. dont let the nay sayers get you down.. a good install and proper stove operation goes along way

Surprised to read all the discontent with VC stoves on here.
Lots of errors were made at first. My dad used to say a poor worker always blames his tools.

Surprised to read all the discontent with VC stoves on here. Anybody got advice on the OP?
Where in WNC are you? I bought my VC in WNC at the Black Mountain Stove Shop many years ago. They're still there and still selling VC.

Our flexburn stove is doing a fantastic job heating the main part of our house. As you can see from the photo it’s being used as a hearth stove. The bricks in the arch are very warm to the touch (about 2 sec is all I can touch) and the surrounding area is staying cool and within clearances.

Should I be concerned about the arch bricks absorbing this much heat with only a few inches clearance from the back of the stove and ducting?

View attachment 309180
HEY now that's a good looking stove! In a nice spot.
I doubt your bricks will have much of a problem. The cement used for the bricks may be an issue if they used a crappy mixture - but it's doubtful unless you've noticed loose bricks before. What's behind the bricks and how far back would be my question. You are to remain 12" minimum from all combustibles. That INCLUDES anything behind brick etc. If within 12" there is anything combustible you are at risk. If you arent sure, I would consider extending out the heart and pulling the stove out.

Good luck with your stove, keep a nice hot large bed of coals going and make sure you are using <20% moisture content wood, and you'll be fine. It's a tricky stove to operate and has caused me a number of gray hairs learning it as I have the same exact stove w/ the cat. Keep it above 475 if you run it without the cat, and inspect that chimney every few days at first for creosote build up.

Surprised to read all the discontent with VC stoves on here. Anybody got advice on the OP?

Few people come into forums to brag about their properly working stoves. We only hear from those having issues. I’ve had my Dauntless for a year, and any issue in running it has been “user error”. No issues with it running away, or trouble keeping it running.

Few people come into forums to brag about their properly working stoves. We only hear from those having issues. I’ve had my Dauntless for a year, and any issue in running it has been “user error”. No issues with it running away, or trouble keeping it running.

many of the threads were filled with more happy people.. some of the people I know dont comment anymore because of to much negativity.. kinda sad..

many of the threads were filled with more happy people.. some of the people I know dont comment anymore because of to much negativity.. kinda sad..
Well I am pleased to report, I think mine seems to be behaving nicely. Or at least nice enough. Negativity is unhelpful, but constructive criticism can help improve people and equipment over time.

Well I am pleased to report, I think mine seems to be behaving nicely. Or at least nice enough. Negativity is unhelpful, but constructive criticism can help improve people and equipment over time.

Glad your getting the hang of it. Sometimes it takes a little time to get to know one another. I was nervous at first.. as with anything new.. Let others know how your doing it.. thanks for posting