New door gasket not passing the dollar bill test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jstrat

Feb 13, 2015
ma
Castle serenity/ordered a new gasket from the co. Door and glass gaskets the door gasket looks wider then I remember but installed it anyway, the door was very hard to close at first let stand 24 hrs fired up and I could smell smoke shut it down did the gasket test and left side of door failed near the top also when I close the door I can see left side of gasket bunching up any help please

Attachments

• B4E53A58-8133-45D5-909E-A41AF733A164.jpeg
    B4E53A58-8133-45D5-909E-A41AF733A164.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 194
Did you write that you changed the glass gasket as well?
From your pic, does the gasket meet completely at the bottom? I believe 5/8s is the width of a CS door gasket. I cut off the gasket tie 's so 5/8 meets 5/8s of the gasket. The six o clock position of your gasket appears to have a gap.
Do a smoke test....use a cigarette or incense stick to see if air is being sucked into the stove at the gasket perimeter. Maybe you smell smoke from your stove pipe?
Your gasket looks to be the correct size. It's normal for the gasket to bunch up on the hinge side. Also Normal for it to be hard to close after you put a new gasket in.

Last edited:
There should be no smoke from the door area.
If it is leaking it should be sucking air in.
Pellet stoves work on a vac principal to draw
air into the combustion chamber. Some older
stoves before 2000 used a fan to blow air in.
Your smoke smell is from the exhaust side of the
combustion fan

Reactions: JRemington
Thanks for the reply, took a damp paper towel and wiped down the exhaust pipe and it was clean all joints taped