New Double Sided Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bowhunter87

Sep 27, 2021
Iowa
I will be building a new house next year and wonder if anyone knows of any efficient double sided wood fireplaces out there? I like the supreme duet but unfortunately it is not available in the US right now. I contacted them and they said that maybe it will be next year but to try back with them around the 1st of the year.

Is this more decorative, than for heating? Acucraft's are not EPA, but the do sell double-sided units.
Valcourt also has a double-sided unit, that might be a bit better for heating though not close to their high-efficiency ZC fireplaces.

I would like it to be fairly efficient and put out some heat. I have a Natures Comfort OWB right now so something that does not burn through tons of wood would be a plus. I dont mind cutting some firewood but the amount I have done the last several years has me burnt out a bit.

The best ZC fireplaces for heat are not double-sided. If the plan can be changed to one-sided there are some good options. Some may be able to heat the whole house. And the wood savings over the wasteful OWB will be major.

Tell us about what is being built. How large will the new home be and how well insulated? How many story and what is the floorplan like on the level that the fireplace will be located on? What will be the primary form of heat and how many BTUs is it rated at?

I am hoping to talk the wife into going with a 1 sided but that hasn't been going well. She sees all these pictures of the double sided fireplaces and likes them but I dont think she realizes most of them are gas. Primary heat plan is geothermal. It will be a ~2000 sf ranch that is well insulated. We may put a second fireplace in that will be 1 sided in a different room. So the double sided one could just be for show but I was just hoping there was a new one out there that I havent heard of yet that is efficient.

The Supreme Duet is the only one I know of that will provide both efficient burning and dual-sides.

Maybe build in a flat screen tv on the other side in an opening that looks like a fireplace. The have some very nice fireplace videos that go on for hours. ;)

I think I got the wife convinced away from the double sided fireplace. Any recommendations for an EPA compliant single sided? I would like something with a good viewing area and more rustic looking. Thanks for any info.

There are several good EPA ZC fireplaces. If the house will be tightly insulated you want to be careful with the size. How large of an area will the fireplace be heating? How open is this space to the rest of the house?

It will be in a pretty open area in the center of an approximately 2000 sf house. I am thinking of trying to Duct it into a few other rooms too.