New Drolet furnaces?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gbawol42

Burning Hunk
Dec 16, 2018
Northern Michigan
So Menards said they no longer sell Drolet wood furnaces (tundra 2/heatpro) because they are in the process of making them 2020 compliant. Anyone hear any news of new products/updates coming from them?

Reactions: DoubleB
Menards seems to remove some of their wood heaters from inventory in the summer...I know I checked on the Heatpro a few years back, wasn't available until fall...something like October IIRC...they couldn't even order them until then. I suspect they will have them again this winter too...no idea where they currently stand with the emissions testing.

Reactions: sloeffle
Do we know if SBI is actually chasing the EPA 2020 regulation? Will they be able to achieve that with a secondary burn system?
Probably spending more time chasing Lobbyists hoping that they will not be required to achieve the 2020 regs and will be able to kick the can down the road for another 3-5 years.

Reactions: sloeffle
Guarantee they are...they are too big of a player to just say the heck with it...
I think they can...but IMO it is going to take active controls to do it...

So I emailed SBI and almost everyone is right. Yes they are banking on the regs being pushed to 2022, it does sound like they would make thier products apply when the time comes.

According to SBI they pulled out of Menards because they said thier market is a sub 2k furnace, and theirs is just above that mark. They didn't want to sell cheaper, so Menards and SBI went thier separate ways.

And what is that special? Clicked the link and landed on the home page. Looking to move on from the FC150 ;P
Works for me, scroll down the page...

This thread is a perfect illustration of what manufacturer interaction with customers/users should look like. I have no need or use for a wood furnace like the VF series, but I do have a great deal of respect for the product and manufacturer nonetheless

Reactions: lampmfg
We've been in communication directly with the EPA for quite some time. They have confirmed to us in writing that manufacturers need to achieve the Category 1 (low burn) in full turndown/idle mode, which is the lowest a unit can attain when in 'no demand' mode. From what we understand, this did not happen initially when the other manufacturer became 2020 compliant. I'm guessing that will be resolved one way or another in the near future.

As we have seen with many new models that have made it to market with extremely limited real-world usage many (potentially very dangerous) problems, have arisen over the past five years. Hopefully, we don't see that again moving forward.

We've been in communication directly with the EPA for quite some time. They have confirmed to us in writing that manufacturers need to achieve the Category 1 (low burn) in full turndown/idle mode, which is the lowest a unit can attain when in 'no demand' mode. From what we understand, this did not happen initially when the other manufacturer became 2020 compliant. I'm guessing that will be resolved one way or another in the near future.

As we have seen with many new models that have made it to market with extremely limited real-world usage many (potentially very dangerous) problems, have arisen over the past five years. Hopefully, we don't see that again moving forward.

Who else is compliant? I thought you were the only ones?

Watch what happens when they have to redo the test at full turndown/idle mode.
Curious as to how long it is tested in the idle mode, if need be are they allowed to stop the test half way thru to clean the pipes due to safety concerns before resuming the testing?:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
Watch what happens when they have to redo the test at full turndown/idle mode.
tumblr_mqv652l4SN1qk1ur4o1_400.gif

Reactions: woodey
Curious as to how long it is tested in the idle mode, if need be are they allowed to stop the test half way thru to clean the pipes due to safety concerns before resuming the testing?:eek:

Or replace the baro damper when it gets blown off....

Guarantee they are...they are too big of a player to just say the heck with it...
I think they can...but IMO it is going to take active controls to do it...

What do you mean by active controls?

Would you guys think now is the time for someone to buy one of their furnace? Kind of like i just bought a Kubota diesel mower this year because next years model will have the particle filter that is no bueno?

What do you mean by active controls?
The fire or exhaust is monitored and incoming air is adjusted in small increments constantly to maintain optimal combustion...instead of the current "closed damper, or open damper" controls that Drolet and many/most others use.