new durablack pipe smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northpa

Aug 27, 2014
north pa
moved my stove this year and installed the durablack. had about 5 fires so far and smell is just as bad as the first burn. never happened before. very toxic, is this normal? should i try to fire it up to 1000deg to get the job done? these have not been mild fires.

How hot have your fires been? Mine new stove and pipe smoked really bad the first fire and smelled a little for 3 or 4 fires after once it was hot for extended times. After 3 or 4 i didn't smell anything.

hot. i can tell when the secondaries are lit because it starts fuming again. i'm thinking of taking a bernzo and torching the paint all the way up. thought it would be long gone by now

I'm breaking in a durablack telescoping single wall 6" right now too. I fired my stove to about 650° for the first fire and held there for about an hour. Small fire again today and a little smell but no smoke......

Status
Not open for further replies.