New F3500 Regency Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There's been a bit of discussion lately (maybe always) about how installers never measure draft even in situations that are likely to have too much. You may need a flue damper (some use two) to reduce your draft.
We are now starting to get reports on the 2020 stoves, and it seems that the ones that are limiting how low you can cut the air in order to meet the regs, might be harder to control. Heck, I got my SIL a 2019 stove, and it wants to go high with only 15' of stack and a flue damper. I recently installed a second damper and it appears to cut the burn back a little bit.
I mean, I can get an under-control burn, but I'm a stove nerd. My SIL is slower to pick up on the subtleties, even with me coaching her. Joe Blow average stove buyer has no clue what's going on and unless they come here, or have a good dealer backing them, will remain in the dark. Stove damage or worse may be the result. Those good dealers appear to be rather few and far between.
I'm about to find out what happens with a larger load in cold weather with stronger draft; Mid-teen lows are on the way for a few days.
I'll then find out whether I need to take measures. I think I will either way, so my SIL can cut the legs out from under the burn if she mis-calculates when starting a larger load. She's just been burning short loads but that's not gonna work when winter finally gets here.
As it stands now, she had a lot easier time running her previous cat stove.

PS You may want to start a new thread with your concerns and include that info about your setup.

I've now run a few stoves on different flue lengths and it's amazing how differently they can behave on a shorter/longer chimney--different lighting off, burn times, etc... The chimney is the engine that drives part of the fuel (air) though the system so it's really strange to me that it's not considered more carefully in each setup.

Chimney is 18' double wall, and 4' double black stove pipe with a 30 - 30° elbow. It might be the bigger difference with the extreme cold temps we've had because I didn't see the temps this high when it was warmer out ie. -5 to -10°C out.

The damper on the stove pipe might be a good option.

Temps increasing this week so will hopefully see a difference.

I will start a new post too. Thanks for the info.

Hey Chris,

Like you I'm a new owner of a Regency F3500. We have had quite the cold snap here in Alberta. -34°C without windchill for the last week. Needless to say stove has been going 24/7 for the last month since install really.

Seems to be working great my only concern is that it's working too well. Maybe too much draft. Stove top temps can get to 800F at times. Usually runs around the 650-700F tho. As soon as the fire gets rolling and I engage the cat, it's dampered right down (all the way right). Temps can still get high up to 800F dampered right down.

Just wondering with anyone else with a F3500 is this too high a temp.

I can't kill the fire with dampering right down as well. A little concerning that I don't have that control. Again just wondering if this is common.

Just getting into the wood stove world so open to discussion.

Love the heat from this stove and the burn times.

Cheers,

Travis

travis, I’m curious to know what kind of wood you’re burning and what kind of burn times you’re getting with the regency. I have the same climate as you do considering I live in northern Ontario. My regency will be installed within the next few weeks. Is it your primary heat? How big is your home? Any tips on the stove would be great

travis, I’m curious to know what kind of wood you’re burning and what kind of burn times you’re getting with the regency. I have the same climate as you do considering I live in northern Ontario. My regency will be installed within the next few weeks. Is it your primary heat? How big is your home? Any tips on the stove would be great
I'm wondering why for a stove with the latest tech,size and burn time why there's so little on the 3500 online? Here, you tube anywhere, I mean It's not like a WoodStocker or something! I was interested in this but like I said nothing, nada, zilch...why?

I'm wondering why for a stove with the latest tech,size and burn time why there's so little on the 3500 online? Here, you tube anywhere, I mean It's not like a WoodStocker or something! I was interested in this but like I said nothing, nada, zilch...why?
This is a big stove. It's fairly new and requires an 8" flue which restricts some installs.

It could also be that the stove is pretty trouble-free. We don't get folks coming here just to say they are happy campers as often.

This is a big stove. It's fairly new and requires an 8" flue which restricts some installs.

It could also be that the stove is pretty trouble-free. We don't get folks coming here just to say they are happy campers as often.
I thought when I researched last week it showed a 6 inch pipe? I think it was the next size up 5100? that showed the 8" pipe and needed double wall pipe no?
I get that about "no issues" but people love to show these off on you tube and I think there's maybe 4 videos.

I was thinking of offering $2,500 for that stove as it is a year old, cat still has 9 years left on warranty and looks in great shape. The price asking is a new stove with the 26% That would/ was going to be my pitch... Selling because they needed a "larger stove"
edit venting says 6" unless that's not exhaust+ thing looks like a monster for only 3 CF fire box
F3500 Specifications
Max Log Size20"
Firebox size3.0 Cu. Ft.
Glass Size17.25"x10.5" 181 Sq.In.
Venting6" Top Vent
EPA 2020 Approved0.9 G/H
Efficiency80%HHV / 87%LHV

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 21-11-10 Regency F3500 Large Wood Burning Stove.png

Last edited:
I thought when I researched last week it showed a 6 inch pipe? I think it was the next size up 5100? that showed the 8" pipe and needed double wall pipe no?
I get that about "no issues" but people love to show these off on you tube and I think there's maybe 4 videos.

I was thinking of offering $2,500 for that stove as it is a year old, cat still has 9 years left on warranty and looks in great shape. The price asking is a new stove with the 26% That would/ was going to be my pitch... Selling because they needed a "larger stove"
edit venting says 6" unless that's not exhaust+ thing looks like a monster for only 3 CF fire box
F3500 Specifications
Max Log Size20"
Firebox size3.0 Cu. Ft.
Glass Size17.25"x10.5" 181 Sq.In.
Venting6" Top Vent
EPA 2020 Approved0.9 G/H
Efficiency80%HHV / 87%LHV

View attachment 303164
I guess you can't place this 3500 in front of a fireplace and vent it through the FP opening. It says go up 36 inches first.

Note: Due to the high efficiency of the F3500 unit. Double wall pipe is recommended from the stove top to either wall or roof exit. A minimum of
36" vertical rise is required prior to using any elbows.