New firewood cutter.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Brought this home today. Should make short work of putting up firewood.
It will be interesting to see how it performs.

20211221_182811.jpg

Sure looks like it can do some damage and it looks light enough as well as small--please do let us know how it does...clancey

I run a Husky myself, but I've never been let down when using my brothers Stihl.
I work part time for a local John Deere dealership and was able to purchase it for 10% over cost. I would have bought a Husky if that is what we sold.

The new MS400
fuel injection model i belive

Reactions: D8Chumley
Still the m-tronic carburetor, it has a magnesium piston though and that's it's big claim to fame. First chainsaw with a magnesium piston.

Reactions: D8Chumley
It is a MS 400, not fuel injected, with magnesiun piston. Hope it fits the hype.
Currently has a 20" bar. If it proves to be a screamer I want to get a 25" or 30" bar for the bigger stuff.

I have heard a lot of good things about the MS-400. Our local JD dealer hasn't gotten one in stock yet. Would like to handle one to feel how the weight is. Bought a MS-261 a year and half ago and been real happy with it. I would like to see weight wise how the MS-400 compares to my 461. As I am getting older the 461 and the 660 spend more time in the chain saw trailer and I am using the 261 more.

I hope you got the chaps and chainsaw helmet to go with it;)

I have heard a lot of good things about the MS-400. Our local JD dealer hasn't gotten one in stock yet. Would like to handle one to feel how the weight is. Bought a MS-261 a year and half ago and been real happy with it. I would like to see weight wise how the MS-400 compares to my 461. As I am getting older the 461 and the 660 spend more time in the chain saw trailer and I am using the 261 more.
I know what you mean about getting older. I'm 71 and was thinking about the 261 which I could have bought for$200 dollars less. But I wanted more hp.

I dont know much about the new 400 model, but with the advertised hp rating of it, it should play with a 25 inch bar. That saw has darn near a 1 hp gain over my 361 and I run a 25 inch pretty comfortably.

Sweet new toy! I’ve been running the same MS290 for years. Still serving me well!

Sweet new toy! I’ve been running the same MS290 for years. Still serving me well!
I ran a 290 for 8 yrs. Was a great saw, only complaint was that it was stingy on bar oil. Ran winter blend bar oil which helped.
We will see if the 400 is better.