New Gas Log Set LOUD

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yellowhouse

Jan 30, 2023
New York
I am replacing our old propane gas log set with a new natural gas Grand Canyon unit. (Yes I changed the gas line!)

The new unit is so loud. It is NOT the peaceful fireplace we once had.

Is this a known issue with Grand Canyon? Any thoughts what this might be? I’m shocked and disappointed. Hoping this can be easily resolved!!

Thanks!!!

I talked to someone from Grand Canyon. They suggested maybe too much flow is being run to the unit. But when I adjust the shutoff valve, the flame reduces … so while I admit to not fully understanding how this works, that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

I believe it is the acoustics of the tube and more likely the holes in it.

One theory is by placing lava rocks and embers, should dampen the sound. Though will it be enough has me concerned.

I talked to someone from Grand Canyon. They suggested maybe too much flow is being run to the unit. But when I adjust the shutoff valve, the flame reduces … so while I admit to not fully understanding how this works, that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

I believe it is the acoustics of the tube and more likely the holes in it.

One theory is by placing lava rocks and embers, should dampen the sound. Though will it be enough has me concerned.
Have you checked to verify that the gas pressure is correct and the air mixer is the correct size? Lava rocks and embers should only be placed specifically according to the installation manual.

Changed the gas line or the fuel from propane to natural gas. If still propane that is your issue as you can not us a system set up for one type of fuel on the other fuel.