New Grandma Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jrsun19

Mar 19, 2018
New york
Hello I am a nubie to forum and also nubie to stoves. Just picked up this Fisher I was looking to get a possible date and some more info. I would like to restore it.

Attachments

• 57CF61F9-1644-42E2-873C-E68C68ED79B0.jpeg
    57CF61F9-1644-42E2-873C-E68C68ED79B0.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 456
  • 3165A7A0-FD9B-4691-980D-A26C3EE03B1A.jpeg
    3165A7A0-FD9B-4691-980D-A26C3EE03B1A.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 66650307-9EEC-4006-B854-2D491BF0AA11.jpeg
    66650307-9EEC-4006-B854-2D491BF0AA11.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 453
  • B33A15C3-F934-4FDE-A0E9-2FDA4BA6E859.jpeg
    B33A15C3-F934-4FDE-A0E9-2FDA4BA6E859.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 457
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 426
Reactions: Mdfisher
Welcome to the Forum;
Since this is a low number, probably 1977.(#4407 was the order built not actually a serial number) Hesston Mfg. in Kansas started producing stove boxes in1977 to fill 60,000 back ordered stoves across the nation for fabricators in the US. Most fabricators numbered their stoves the same way, others didn't so that's the most accurate way to date one.
This is a Grandma ( I ) that would have came with a screen and requires a flue pipe damper not shown in your pics.

I can't tell what kind of chimney if any is connected to the stove, but that will determine the rate of burn and heat output from it.

Welcome to the Forum;
Since this is a low number, probably 1977.(#4407 was the order built not actually a serial number) Hesston Mfg. in Kansas started producing stove boxes in1977 to fill 60,000 back ordered stoves across the nation for fabricators in the US. Most fabricators numbered their stoves the same way, others didn't so that's the most accurate way to date one.
This is a Grandma ( I ) that would have came with a screen and requires a flue pipe damper not shown in your pics.

I can't tell what kind of chimney if any is connected to the stove, but that will determine the rate of burn and heat output from it.
I am currently just using it outside as a summer fire pit and maybe cook on it.
But I would like to get it looking seeet and built properly and seal it from the elements as best as possibl

I am currently just using it outside as a summer fire pit and maybe cook on it.
But I would like to get it looking seeet and built properly and seal it from the elements as best as possibl
If it is likely to get moisture on it, use high temperature primer by Stove Bright. Normally primer is not required for indoor use with high temp paints, but that primer is formulated for outdoor use.

Hello I am a nubie to forum and also nubie to stoves. Just picked up this Fisher I was looking to get a possible date and some more info. I would like to restore it.
Mine is half the size and will easily run me out of the house... i believe the year is on the bottom .. welded in ... i stuck my phone under mine and took a picture

Mine is half the size and will easily run me out of the house... i believe the year is on the bottom .. welded in ... i stuck my phone under mine and took a picture
As far as I know there were no fabricators that marked the year in weld on the bottom. PA used a PA and stove number and GA used a stove number with welder initials under the box when the box was made and the welder cutting the vent when sold, hung doors and ash fender, then added his initials under the ash fender. A few others stamped their stoves with a state abbreviation and number stamp on the back top corner. Dates were not added until after 1980 on UL tags.
Hesston numbered their stoves when a tag is present, so knowing the contract was signed in 1977 (when Bob had his stroke) dates this one. If a Hesston tag is missing, some were stamped with a large H on the front of ash fender trim and all of their boxes will have the vent pipe welded INSIDE where fabricators welded theirs outside after the stove was built. Fabricators built boxes ahead of time and vented them top, rear or sides as needed for the customer, so they had to be welded outside unlike prefabbed boxes made in bulk.

There are other ways to date a stove when you know when changes were made such as spring handles, air damper design and bending of handles. You can always have one mixed while using up old parts that makes it difficult.

His won't radiate much heat without a correct chimney since the differential temperature from inside the flue to outside is what makes the stove work. It takes a chimney that stays hot inside to make it efficient. Like a car without an engine, it will roll down a hill, but don't expect it to keep going. His stove without a chimney is like a car with zero horsepower.

If I was going to set one up as an outdoors fireplace I'd run 6' of insulated stainless steel flue with a good cap on top to keep water out of the stove.