New home with open fireplace fire alarms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My son's seems to be the size of the flue, maybe a little smaller, but it was part of the construction. I have no clue about the one they did after in the 70's. Just remember it was a lot of noise, and thinking it was funny they sealed their house so well to keep it warm they could not build a fire anymore to keep it warm.
Yes it should be atleast the size of the flue. And regardless you arent going to keep a house warm with a fireplace. Most of them do the oposite.

Not going to re read this from beginning but when I go to town looking at masonry chimneys most have chimney caps ones with grill guards. These caps bolt to the outside of the terra cotta and no visable sign of a S/S liner inside like pictures of your nice home. I’m wondering if this cap would slow down cold air into the house? Then building a really hot fire to warm the inside of the chimney brick to promote draft? Not sure what the ratio of the opening to the chimney liner but maybe a concern