New house, new shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
We moved in late summer this year - yes, it was insane with all the COVID craziness going on - and upped the ante on our property to 30 acres out in the country from a nice 5 acre plot just outside of town.

Anyway, the big upgrade was a big, bombproof horse turn out in the front pasture that I immediately claimed as the new wood shed. It took me all damn day, straight through to sundown (hence the low light) but I put 6.5 full cord and then some into this beast with room to spare. It doesn't look it but this stack is 12' x 12' by 6' high of mostly 2-3 year old ash, oak and sugar maple.

PXL_20201129_215154646.NIGHT.jpg

Ha! While my kids would be happy with the horse, I'm saving the second half of the shed depth for my quad and perhaps a splitter to fit under the over-hang there...there's also space for a whole 'nother 4 foot deep by 12 feet wide row of those heavy duty plastic pallets.

Sweet pallets. Where did you get them? Maybe you do want to say!!!

Sweet pallets. Where did you get them? Maybe you do want to say!!!
You've an eye for pallets I see...I married into my pallet source, as it were. My father in law works at a local engineering and custom fabricating firm where they get these pallets by the truck load.

This time of year they go like hot cakes as all the locals squirrel them away for wood stacking but he always sets aside a half dozen or so choice ones for me that I drive out with the trailer to pick up.

They are truly indestructible.