New house, stove advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd measure up for an Oslo, top vented. Download the manual and print up the clearances page to bring with you. Bring a large piece of cardboard that is about the footprint of the stove. and take measurements to see if the Oslo's clearance requirements will work. Note that it's a side loader. According to the manual if it's installed diagonally in the corner, the side door needs to be locked.

I'm not sure if you have room to install the F500 parallel to the wall with the stove pipe, and still honor combustibles clearances. That's why I suggested alternative stoves a few posts earlier. The alternatives have an outside jacket that reduces the clearance requirement. See if the stove shop carries Quadrafire. Also stop by a Napoleon and a Pacific Energy dealer for some other close clearance stoves.

Thanks guys. I'll have to hit some other dealers as well. Beleive it or not, there aren't a huge amount of dealers in the local area up there. The one dealer we went to services the area within just under one hour drive time from their store.

Jsut wanted to update everyone on this thread. We were ready to pull the trigger this weekend and we went back to the stove store with pics of the house and the floorplan. The guy took one look at that chimney set up and very nicely said (in so many words): "This probably won't work.." Which basically is what a few of you here said.

They're going to come out and take a look at the house to see what our options are at this point. I have a feeling rerouting that chimney is going to be a lot of $$$, and probably not worth the expense for a weekend house. They'll be out this week or next week.

Right now, I'm thinking our only option is to go pellet. The downside to that is how to heat if the power goes out. Guess I'll be generator shopping too. ; )

Been out of the loop,just catching up,,sorry for the luck,(fingers crossed),let us know how things turn out1

Will do! Just waiting on the stove store to come to the house to look things over.

I just wanted to keep everyone update on this...

The guy from the stove store came out to the house last week. Basically, he said what everyone here said: "That chimney won't work." From what he can tell, that's the old style SS pipe. I don't remember the details, but the sections are a certain length...indicating that they're about 25-30 years old. So even if that chimney set up was OK, it would probably need to be replaced. He figures that chimney took a tumble or two at some point based on those dents.

His only solution to gettting a wood stove in there was to relocate the chimney; probably to that center location. Or "maybe" put the stove on the main level and go up through the roof.

So as things are, we're going to go with a pellet stove.

I am not familiar with pellets, but I understand there are some things to be concerned with.
-How much are they in your area?
-Are they available in your area?
-Are there multiple distributors in your area?
-Do you have ample room to store the quantity you will need?

Yes to all of those. Even if pellets were on the pricey side, it would still be cheaper than relocating the chimney with the current setup.

Skier, Is what you are saying is that they can use the existing chimney location with pellets but not wood? If so why is that?

Not the entire chimney, just the hole in the wall where the current chimney exits. That entire chimney will come down. Just have to figure out what to do with it. Maybe I'll make a shrine out of it....

I thought this thread was done...until we received a $4500 estimate for the pellet stove and installation. For a weekend house? I don't think so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.