New Hummer EV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
It looks like a really nice new toy to own if you have $80k to spend.

I view this as another attempt by GM to make a splash into the EV market to take the attention away from other EV competitors. It makes sense. Kind of ironic they chose the Hummer to do it with because as I remember it, the original Hummers were pretty wasteful vehicles, mostly just for show.

And it looks like they are using their new modular battery packs design. I would expect GM to start rolling out different EV models soon.

On a side note, new vehicles are getting more and more connected to outside networks, constantly sending back data for different systems. This is creating a huge need to store all that data, which I imagine is not very green. But that data information about roads and places is going to be worth a lot of money for the driverless fleets of cars of the future. The more information you have, the better your driverless car can perform.

I watched their extended promo ad. I liked when it said that all images were simulated views. Apparently they haven't actually taken the test units out to climb a scree wall or a sand dune yet. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: vinny11950
I agree that GM is trying to make a splash by coming to market with a "glamor" product with limited practical use. But I can see why it would be exciting to retrieve an EV Hummer out in the bush, bogged down in a swamp and running out of battery power.

• Wow
I am surprised GM would invest in this program. I wonder how many units they will need to sell just to break even?

It looks like a really nice new toy to own if you have $80k to spend.

I view this as another attempt by GM to make a splash into the EV market to take the attention away from other EV competitors. It makes sense. Kind of ironic they chose the Hummer to do it with because as I remember it, the original Hummers were pretty wasteful vehicles, mostly just for show.

And it looks like they are using their new modular battery packs design. I would expect GM to start rolling out different EV models soon.

On a side note, new vehicles are getting more and more connected to outside networks, constantly sending back data for different systems. This is creating a huge need to store all that data, which I imagine is not very green. But that data information about roads and places is going to be worth a lot of money for the driverless fleets of cars of the future. The more information you have, the better your driverless car can perform.
First model is more like $113K. Lower priced models coming. I sure hope GM is retraining a lot of their service people. There is a ton of technology in this boy toy.

I am surprised GM would invest in this program. I wonder how many units they will need to sell just to break even?
First year's production is already sold out.

Reactions: Mech e
The batteries are the most difficult part, the motors are easy. And the batteries are modular and use tech they are developing for other models.

A more detailed tour of the tech in this vehicle.

Reactions: woodgeek
They're missing or conveniently ignoring the main issue with electric vehicles. Recharge convenience will be the key to making this work. A 200 mile range would be acceptable if I could fill up wherever I am in 10 minutes.

I have technicians running in all directions. Many live in apartments in rural areas. They cant plug in where they live and I cant have them sitting at the grocery store every night. I'm not even sure if their grocery stores have recharge stations as they truly are rural.

I'd love the decreased maintenance of a EV. As somebody with a fleet, this would be a winner. It would not be a winner trying to find the EV on the side of the road in an area without cell service.

I doubt anyone is gonna be buying this bad boy for a fleet vehicle, LOL. And the people who can put down six figures for this ride, the vast majority can figure out a 6-10 kW plug in their garage.

Away from home there are 68,000 >6 kW compatible charging stations in the US.

For road trips, the network of 350 kW stations build using the DieselGate money has two cross-country routes open, with 435 stations online, with 2000 stalls, and plans to double both figures by the end of 2021. These are all sited on highways and near amenities.

Looks like the Hummer is set to a max charging speed of ~250 kW DC. 100 miles in 10 minutes. Not too shabby.