"New" insert install, under $1000 *pics*

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

a5t1

Dec 6, 2011
UP
I posted a few months ago regarding an older masonry fireplace and installing an insert. In short, we were given a $6000 rough quote which would cover the install costs and the cost of the insert(at the time undecided on the which insert). We had just purchased the house and money is tight so I set out to do this for under $1000.

I got really lucky and picked up a CW2500 on CL for under $300. Bought the SS liner, cap and 45* adapter. Oh and $20 for the thermostat...

$434.94 for the liner kit
$275.00 for the insert
$20.00 for the thermostat

$729.94

Picture was taken with my camera phone, it doesn't do too well in the dark. The room isn't smokey, that's just an exposure issue. One of my helpers enjoying the fruits of our labor:

tf7g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job. I am doing an upgrade from insert to free standing. Tried to keep budget down. But with the rebuild of fire box, chimney liner, and new stove we are just over $3,000. Congratulations, looks like it is already being enjoyed.

Looks like a nice place to sit with the kid and read some books by the fire.

If you have some basic mechanical ability you can save a ton. I did a princess insert w/install and liner for $2,800, I gave a buddy of mine a few bucks and a case of beer for helping.

Had a fellow hearth member (buckscounty) help (he actually did most of the work - thx K) with the install of a used Jotul 550 Rockland for under $2200 ($1800 for the used 550, $450 for liner and misc parts, $50 for beer and pizza). Took no more than 4 hours. Local dealer wanted $4500 for a new unit installed, $3500 for the used one installed. Do your research (here) and grab a buddy to help. Use the money you saved to buy new chain saws and other toys to feed your new hobby (or obsession if you ask the wife)

Nicely done a5t1. And cool story degkop. I love it when members reach out and help one another. $50 for beer and pizza? Must have been some good quality beer.

can't beat that for under a grand....awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.