1. jpcjguy

jpcjguy
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2015
    Loc:
    richmond, va
    Hi all,

So I have installed a new Enviro Boston 1700 insert and realized I did nothing about the ash dump that is accessed from the outside to clean out. Should I have sealed it? I really don't want to drag that 400 lb beast out again. Or I could stuff a bunch of insulation in the outside access door. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Some inserts can be configured to use that for the outside air supply, but I don't think the Enviro is one of them. If there is a lid on it in the fireplace floor then you can probably just forget about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dix

Dix
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 27, 2008
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    When I installed the PE, we just slid the insert in & over the existing ash dump, which was in the floor of the FP, dead center in the back. Clean out was down in the basement, which was a PITA to clean & haul out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hogwildz

Hogwildz
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 3, 2006
    Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    Seal the outside access door

5. jpcjguy

jpcjguy
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 1, 2015
    Loc:
    richmond, va
    I will seal the outside door. Thanks all!