New Install.....learning with a few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dublin

Dec 12, 2014
Angel Fire NM
Hiya Folks,
I first touched base on this forum about 4 years ago to try to figure out which stove to purchase for a small cabin in northern NM. Well I'm happy to say I finally got around to getting a unit installed. I went with an RSF Focus 250 and have been quite happy with it so far. Having never owned a stove like this before, I'm definitely in the learning mode. So I was hoping I could ask a few questions.

1. I placed a magnetic thermometer on the face of the stove this past weekend (Condar Inferno). I found out it is very easy to over temp without building a huge fire. Few logs inside and air off, and voila, 650 easily. This has me a bit worried. Now, in order to cool it off, I found I needed to open up all the air and actually opened the door a bit. This did the trick but am I right in shooting for less than 650 using this thermometer as I am? If so, I suspect I may be putting just too much wood in (although, again, I haven't put that much in).

2. I find that to get the stove up to temp such that the secondary combustion kicks in, I really have to leave the door open for quite some time. Now, I'm not literally leaving the door wide open but just cracked/unlatched. But it takes at least 30-45 mins before I can close the door and start adjusting air. Does this sound normal?

3. I have two air controls. One is inside air and the other is outside air. I have not noticed any change when adjusting the outdoor air. I can leave it full on or off and it makes no difference to the fire. I'm worried there may be a problem with the adjustment although I can definitely feel the lever opening/closing a gate in there. Is this normal?

Many, many thanks for helping this newb out. As a bit of reference, I'm burning pine as that's pretty much what's available here. A quick moisture check showed it to be pretty dry but I do need to do a better check thet next time I'm up there. I suspect the wood may still be a bit wet as it hasn't seasoned all that long.

Cheers,
james

How tall is the chimney and how much of it is class A and double wall or single wall stovepipe?

Hiya Folks,
I first touched base on this forum about 4 years ago to try to figure out which stove to purchase for a small cabin in northern NM. Well I'm happy to say I finally got around to getting a unit installed. I went with an RSF Focus 250 and have been quite happy with it so far. Having never owned a stove like this before, I'm definitely in the learning mode. So I was hoping I could ask a few questions.

1. I placed a magnetic thermometer on the face of the stove this past weekend (Condar Inferno). I found out it is very easy to over temp without building a huge fire. Few logs inside and air off, and voila, 650 easily. This has me a bit worried. Now, in order to cool it off, I found I needed to open up all the air and actually opened the door a bit. This did the trick but am I right in shooting for less than 650 using this thermometer as I am? If so, I suspect I may be putting just too much wood in (although, again, I haven't put that much in).

2. I find that to get the stove up to temp such that the secondary combustion kicks in, I really have to leave the door open for quite some time. Now, I'm not literally leaving the door wide open but just cracked/unlatched. But it takes at least 30-45 mins before I can close the door and start adjusting air. Does this sound normal?

3. I have two air controls. One is inside air and the other is outside air. I have not noticed any change when adjusting the outdoor air. I can leave it full on or off and it makes no difference to the fire. I'm worried there may be a problem with the adjustment although I can definitely feel the lever opening/closing a gate in there. Is this normal?

Many, many thanks for helping this newb out. As a bit of reference, I'm burning pine as that's pretty much what's available here. A quick moisture check showed it to be pretty dry but I do need to do a better check thet next time I'm up there. I suspect the wood may still be a bit wet as it hasn't seasoned all that long.

Cheers,
james
Sounds like pretty common issues with wet wood. Also if it is double wall pipe a magnetic thermometer is not what u want.

Sounds like pretty common issues with wet wood. Also if it is double wall pipe a magnetic thermometer is not what u want.
The magnetic is really my only option besides IR at this point. Flue is now covered up by the surround. So wet wood can make a stove burn hot?

Soooo this is a fireplace, check? Your temp gauge is on the flush front?