New install planning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LEAK

Nov 24, 2021
Northern Indiana
I have been reading through these forums for a while, and you guys have convinced me to invest in a wood stove. This summer, we moved to house on LP and we did not anticipate how quickly we would burn through it or how expensive it is.

I essentially have two options, a new free standing unit, or attempting to retrofit the fireplace. I would rather use the existing fireplace, but I suspect it may be a big undertaking. The fireplace is a prefab Superior WRT2042WS. It has a very small foot print (attached below)

1637786365063.png
The other option is a new free standing unit.

Yes, that's mostly an ambient fireplace. It's shallower than the average wood fireplace so replacement could have an added challenge.

It's good that you read the TX thread to see the problems and solutions that need to be worked through.

If you are competent with carpentry and finishing and follow safety instructions well, then a freestander with a DIY install should provide the best heating improvement.

Reactions: LEAK