New Jotul F45 Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob14

Sep 13, 2015
SE PA
Hello,
I have been researching wood stoves and inserts for a long time now and finally pulled the trigger on one. This website has been a world of knowledge so I figured I would pay it back and share my installation experience and pictures of my new set up

House Specs: 1500 sq ft, one story ranch built in 1970.
Stove: Jotul F45 installed in an existing masonry fireplace.

I started with removing the existing damper in the fireplace. Fortunately it came out easily with a reciprocating saw.

IMG_0620_zpsmng1kqmz.jpg

I then cut and dry fitted a block off plate from a piece of sheet metal. Once I was comfortable with the fit, I removed it and painted it black with high temp rustoleum spray paint.

IMG_0626_zpslzjacsps.jpg

I then installed a flexible SS liner with wrapped insulation. Running the liner was the most challenging part of the install. I recommend any one doing it has a good helper and designs a good pull rope. On my first attempt the pull rope came off about 3/4 of the way down the chimney, so we had to back it out and reattach the pull rope.
After the liner was in place I insulated the area above the block off plate and installed and sealed the block-off plate. After that it was just a matter of getting the 400 lbs stove up on the hearth and in the fireplace... again a good strong helper or helpers is a most.
One item I went back and forth on was how to hide the bottom few inches of the bright SS Liner in the fireplace. I elected to just paint it with high temp spray paint and I think it turned out pretty well.
Here are a few pictures of the final product.

IMG_0637_zpsmrq8cg9y.jpg IMG_0636_zpsjfyt9jcf.jpg

Here is a picture of a hot bed of coals after the final break in fire.
IMG_0646_zps3x7j9riq.jpg

So far the stove has been fantastic. The fire seems to builds quickly, drafts well and kicks out some good heat. Bring on the winter!

looks awesome! great job. that's a lunker large mouth too

Looks great. I just bought an F45 myself and am in the process of preparing for the chimney installation. Not a light stove, I do not envy you trying to back that thing into your fireplace :).

It looks perfect in there! Great install!

Status
Not open for further replies.