New Kozy Heat Z42 Install (Thanks Hearth.com!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johnald32

May 14, 2017
Lothian, MD
This is my first post to Hearth.com. We just had our new Kozy Heat Z42CD ZC fireplace installed, and I figured I'd post some pictures and info for the benefit of the group. We had it installed to replace a prefab junk ZC fireplace (not sure the brand - possibly a Heatilator) I think I've read every thread on this site that mentions the Z42. The information I've gleaned from everyone on this site has been incredibly helpful in helping us choose to go with the Kozy, and to stick with our choice when others were trying to sell us on other stoves. We haven't had our first fire yet (its May - perfect timing!), but I'll follow up in the Fall with some reviews once we start using the thing. For now, time to find a wood splitter and start seasoning some wood.

Some details on the install: We went with the CD model with the fans in the firebox, but opted not to use the optional duct punch outs. We bought the stove from Ace Home and Leisure for around $2500. Their quote on the piping, installation, and hearth work was out-freaking-rageous (around 7K!!). This was almost a hard stop for us on getting the stove, but luckily we found a firefighter right down the road who has a side-business doing stoves, and he did all of it for about another $2500 (piping, chase cover, install, hearth work).

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of the stove, and am anxious to see how it goes. If anyone that has posted about the Z42 in the past is reading this, thank you! Hopefully my post helps some folks in the future.
image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice. Wonder how well will it work as far as heating your house.

How much space is between the top of the surround and the mantle? It looks pretty tight but it could just be the picture

Congrats - your install looks great - you should be proud! I've read nothing but good things about the Z42 - I'm certain you're going to love it.

Matt

This is my first post to Hearth.com. We just had our new Kozy Heat Z42CD ZC fireplace installed, and I figured I'd post some pictures and info for the benefit of the group. We had it installed to replace a prefab junk ZC fireplace (not sure the brand - possibly a Heatilator) I think I've read every thread on this site that mentions the Z42. The information I've gleaned from everyone on this site has been incredibly helpful in helping us choose to go with the Kozy, and to stick with our choice when others were trying to sell us on other stoves. We haven't had our first fire yet (its May - perfect timing!), but I'll follow up in the Fall with some reviews once we start using the thing. For now, time to find a wood splitter and start seasoning some wood.

Some details on the install: We went with the CD model with the fans in the firebox, but opted not to use the optional duct punch outs. We bought the stove from Ace Home and Leisure for around $2500. Their quote on the piping, installation, and hearth work was out-freaking-rageous (around 7K!!). This was almost a hard stop for us on getting the stove, but luckily we found a firefighter right down the road who has a side-business doing stoves, and he did all of it for about another $2500 (piping, chase cover, install, hearth work).

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of the stove, and am anxious to see how it goes. If anyone that has posted about the Z42 in the past is reading this, thank you! Hopefully my post helps some folks in the future.
View attachment 197456 View attachment 197457 View attachment 197458 View attachment 197459 View attachment 197460 View attachment 197461

Hi Johnald32, we're finally trying to finish out our Z42 with a surround. Would you mind providing details on where you got your white surround as seen in the last pic? Looks great! Thanks much!

Hi Johnald32, we're finally trying to finish out our Z42 with a surround. Would you mind providing details on where you got your white surround as seen in the last pic? Looks great! Thanks much!

I believe that was the old unit/surround. Probably site built out of standard 1 by pine and mouldings.

I believe that was the old unit/surround. Probably site built out of standard 1 by pine and mouldings.
Ahh, thanks for the reply. We have a very wide grey brick structure the Z42 sits in, with black granite as the hearth. Open to any ideas. Wife wants faux marble surround.

View attachment 197456 View attachment 197457 View attachment 197458 View attachment 197459 View attachment 197460 View attachment 197461
I am in this situation now in terms of replacing my junk ZC Heailtor with a REAL ZC. I have the Kozy 42 on my shortlist and came across your post.
After a few years, how do you like this unit? Any second thoughts on the not using the zone heat option? That is most certainly something i'd consider to get heat into adjacent room.
Thanks!