New member - new install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A couple of updates about my project.

Wood stove was installed today and first fire is going!

image.jpg

I ended up going without a mantle for now. I contacted the stove manufacturer and they said a mantel has not been tested with that stove and hence is not approved. I might end up doing a non-combustible mantel next year to make the wife happy, but it will end up being ~$2,000.
D31E5CAD-A412-4D81-AC29-EF87735F8078.jpeg

The installer today told me that since I have a layer of Durock/tile, it reduces the clearance to combustibles in half. So he claimed I could reduce the necessary clearance from 10” on the corners to 5”. Is that correct? I ended up having him leave it at 10” anyway but it didn’t sound right to me.

Also, he claimed that installing my second piece of 5’ exterior chimney was unnecessary and the stove should work fine without it (I currently have a 9’ chimney from the top of the stove and the manual calls for a minimum of 12’).

I have had a small/medium fire going for a few hours and the draft seems okay, but I am considering adding the 5’ section I have anyway to get the minimum chimney height called for. Any thoughts? I wouldn’t mind saving a few hundred dollars on the 5’ pipe but I definitely don’t want to cause any safety issues.

Reactions: Gearhead660
I would let the draft decide if you need more chimney. I would say it looks good where it sits in regards to clearance, follow manufacturer's distances.

The installer today told me that since I have a layer of Durock/tile, it reduces the clearance to combustibles in half. So he claimed I could reduce the necessary clearance from 10” on the corners to 5”. Is that correct? I ended up having him leave it at 10” anyway but it didn’t sound right to me.

Also, he claimed that installing my second piece of 5’ exterior chimney was unnecessary and the stove should work fine without it (I currently have a 9’ chimney from the top of the stove and the manual calls for a minimum of 12’).

Um. No.
Sounds like another shining example of a industry leader :eek:

Have you been in the attic to certify the clearance to combustibles yourself? Might be appropriate.

Last edited:
Reactions: brenndatomu
Makes sense in regards to the clearance. When he told me that I wanted to call him out but I wasn’t sure since he is the “professional”. I am glad I kept it at the manufacturer’s guidelines anyway.

Since they utilized a bigger than required pre-existing fireplace penetration, the attic clearances are thankfully good.

How do I determine if my draft is good enough in the current format? Is there something in particular I should look for?

What is your temperature outside? If it's real cold out it may draft fine now but during shoulder season you may not have enough draft

A lot of stove manufacturers do allow for reduced clearances with shielding. But shielding ussually is something on stand offs that allows air movement behind it. So if you would have added the durock and tile with a 1/2" gap between it and the combustible wall and had a gap at the top and bottom for air flow that would allow for reduced clearances on stoves that allow it.

My stove does allow for reduced clearances but you are right, it specifically calls out how the heat shield must be made and arranged. This installer was saying that cement board/tile attached directly to drywall sufficed for meeting that requirement.

Right now day time temps have been mid 30s and night time mid 20s. So not super cold but not exactly shoulder season either.

There is no mantel information for the stove because it normally would not have a mantel. The only documented clearance from the stovetop is that it needs an 84" ceiling clearance. If the mantel is shallow enough to not be over the stovetop then this should be ok if the stove pipe clearance is ok.

My stove does allow for reduced clearances but you are right, it specifically calls out how the heat shield must be made and arranged. This installer was saying that cement board/tile attached directly to drywall sufficed for meeting that requirement.
The installer is incorrect. Tile on cementboard does not qualify for any clearance reduction unless it is on spacers creating a 1", ventilated gap behind it. This stove already has close clearances so quoting NFPA clearance reduction tables in the manual are not that helpful. Note that the maximum reduction is to 12" while the corner clearance for the stove is already 7" with double-wall stove pipe.

Last edited:
There is no mantel information for the stove because it normally would not have a mantel. The only documented clearance from the stovetop is that it needs an 84" ceiling clearance. If the mantel is shallow enough to not be over the stovetop then this should be ok if the stove pipe clearance is ok.

So as long as the mantel depth would not stick above the vertical plane of the wood stove, it would meet the manufacturer’s requirement of an 84” ceiling clearance?

The mantel my wife wants would be about 2” away from the vertical plane of the wood stove and 2’ above the top of the wood stove. And that would make it about 12” away from the double walled pipe at the closest spot.

That is just at the front corners of the stove, correct? That may be ok, or it may need heat shielding. Ultimately, it's up to Drolet to say whether they are ok with it, but they may not be able to answer if untested.

That is just at the front corners of the stove, correct? That may be ok, or it may need heat shielding. Ultimately, it's up to Drolet to say whether they are ok with it, but they may not be able to answer if untested.

No, essentially she is asking for this set up:

66AAE6EB-AA99-4C52-9857-A9E4EABDFCDF.jpg

The difference from that picture is that the mantel will be cluttered with knick-knacks on a seasonal basis. ;)
Contact Drolet for their perspective. It may be ok, you will have you use your own judgment and watch the temp on the wood. If it gets over 160º regularly then it may need a shield on the underside to protect it.

The difference from that picture is that the mantel will be cluttered with knick-knacks on a seasonal basis. ;)
Contact Drolet for their perspective. It may be ok, you will have you use your own judgment and watch the temp on the wood. If it gets over 160º regularly then it may need a shield on the underside to protect it.
Truth, it wouldn’t surprise me to see her try and hang a bunch of stockings from it ‍♂️. I’ll contact them again and see what they have to say.