New memeber! Need help with a two different furnaces foxfire and deka and an idea.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cwarta

Nov 2, 2017
355nova
Hello all, thank you for the knowledge I see here, I've been reading profusely for the last few days and decided to join. I'm no stranger to wood burning, however I am new to wood furnaces. I picked this FoxFire stove up last January for free, a local Sherrie was wanting it out of his newly purchased home and told me if I took it out I could have it. So I made the trip. In my jeep Cherokee... that was a mistake and a half, but we got it in and very sketchily drive home.

I absolutely love this stove, we live in a 2 story old, I mean olddddd farm house. The house has no insulation, period. None. Previous tenants had a wood burner in every bedroom in the 5 bedroom house. I bought a used 120k btu propane furnace and put it in first, and after the first month, I knew that wasn't going to fly. Burned thru $200 in one month in propane.

So I got the above mentioned stove. I can't seem to find any info about this particular stove out there, but it puts out an INSANE amount of heat. It puts this 120k btu propane stove to absolute shame. I'm in love with it.

So much so, that I wanted to find another one for my newly put up 28x25 garage I just built from scrap material. I found a daka on FB for $200 so I picked that up, after close inspection it's clear they are twondifferent classes of stoves. I feel like my Foxfire was a high end expensive stove, looking at the internals.

So now onto my questions.

I have no clue how to correctly wire the FoxFire up. It has a thermostat of some kind in the side of the box above the fire box, it has a fan under the firebox to move the air obviously, and it has a small fan on the box that feeds fresh air to the firebox itself. Last year I've had it all wired direct, on or off, no automation. They had some kind of controls for it upstairs in the PO house, but they wouldn't let me get them. Any help here?

Next, my idea. I'd like to make my daka, like my Foxfire on top. Add what I'm assuming are heat exchangers. How much efficiency does all this add to a stove? I have all the tooling to easily do what I want, I just want to make sure it's worth my time. Attached are some pictures of my Foxfire. Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• IMG_4067.JPG
    IMG_4067.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_4068.JPG
    IMG_4068.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4069.JPG
    IMG_4069.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4071.JPG
    IMG_4071.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I have no clue how to correctly wire the FoxFire up. It has a thermostat of some kind in the side of the box above the fire box, it has a fan under the firebox to move the air obviously, and it has a small fan on the box that feeds fresh air to the firebox itself. Last year I've had it all wired direct, on or off, no automation. They had some kind of controls for it upstairs in the PO house, but they wouldn't let me get them. Any help here?

I have an Englander add on wood furnace. the there is a thermostat/thermocouple/whatever wired to the blower motor. when my fire reaches a certain temp. it will activate the blower motor to move the hot air into my ductwork. . . maybe you could get on there website and download there manuals to reverse engineer your rig?

That's a good point, I'll look into doing that! The foxfire has a twonspeed fan etc. thank you!

So I was thinking about using these heat exchangers from an old propane furnace I have and maybe just building a box to go in the exhaust from the deka and mount another fan on it

Attachments

• IMG_4074.JPG
    IMG_4074.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 100