New moisture meter - can this be right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamchatka

Nov 6, 2013
Missouri
Haven't even got the stove set up yet, but we're busily collecting wood for a few years out. Husband cut a dead burr oak that died in the drought of 2011. He was sure it was dry. I was sure it wasn't. So he split a log for me and it measured 20%. From everything I've read on here that's practically impossible. The tree WAS hollow inside - been a den tree for years. Could that be a factor? Or is it more likely that my (er... cheap) moisture meter isn't quite up to snuff?

DSCN3390.JPG

How deep did the pins go? Being hollow will help a little, especially if you have a lot of wind blowing through that "tunnel." Your M.M. reading could be corrected for species and give you a higher moisture reading. Just some random thoughts....

Its possible, I'm betting the whole tree is not that dry.

Put the pins on the palm of your hand. Normal hands are around 33%

Put the pins on the palm of your hand. Normal hands are around 33%

Thanks for the tip, gzecc!

Okay, that was easy enough. Must have sweaty palms, though -- 34. But, of course, as oldspark said, the whole tree may be another story. The log I tested was about 9" in diameter before it was split. Still... it starts seasoning now fer sure.

I've found that limbwood can be ready surprisingly fast, but stumpwood can be surprising not ready for a lot longer. 9" isn't exactly small, but if it came from the top of the tree, that might be part of the explanation.

You'll probably be vindicated when you split the round from ground level. :cool:

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Soundchasm is correct, the upper limbs could be dry as a bone in the desert while the trunk is as wet as a morning diaper. I dropped a long dead standing white oak last year and the upper limbs were burn ready but the trunk oozed moisture as the wedge went into the wood. It will be 3 years before I think about burning the oak.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
You have to check it on a fresh split or fresh cut, having 20% on the outside means 25% or more on the inside.

Okay, that was easy enough. Must have sweaty palms, though -- 34. But, of course, as oldspark said, the whole tree may be another story. The log I tested was about 9" in diameter before it was split. Still... it starts seasoning now fer sure.

Probably a perfect read. There is also a accuracy deviation on these cheap monitors. Probably up to 8%. So your good.

34 is correct for palm reading

Status
Not open for further replies.