Ash moisture question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Not trying to thread jack this guys thread about ash moisture content, but since the ash experts are here I thought I’d ask. Is this black ash?

Bark looks very similar to regular ash (I think regular would be white ash). The first one I cut down I actually thought it was ash. Now that I look closely I can tell them apart from the bark.

Anyways, the heartwood is dark, and the bark is smoother as it goes up the tree. The bottom of the tree bark is just as ridgey though. The wood also smells similar to ash.

But on these trees there is no sign of the EAB. So either EAB doesn’t like black ash, or it’s not black ash. Another possibility is pignut hickory.

I have three of these trees that are windfalls. I’ll try to get a pic of the whole tree.

B9799363-55D6-4ADA-9BF6-B21E722A2B66.jpeg 498ECC88-0321-4FAA-B4D7-EC8A91C775E2.jpeg ED234039-937E-4B5A-9EA1-E3047EC11AB9.jpeg 04FCC5ED-5A55-41D7-8957-FADACAC8817E.jpeg

Not trying to thread jack this guys thread about ash moisture content, but since the ash experts are here I thought I’d ask. Is this black ash?

Bark looks very similar to regular ash (I think regular would be white ash). The first one I cut down I actually thought it was ash. Now that I look closely I can tell them apart from the bark.

Anyways, the heartwood is dark, and the bark is smoother as it goes up the tree. The bottom of the tree bark is just as ridgey though. The wood also smells similar to ash.

But on these trees there is no sign of the EAB. So either EAB doesn’t like black ash, or it’s not black ash. Another possibility is pignut hickory.

I have three of these trees that are windfalls. I’ll try to get a pic of the whole tree.

View attachment 296968 View attachment 296969 View attachment 296970 View attachment 296971
Start a new thread. I think its hickory.

@DonTee looks like hickory to me, As far as ash, I'm only familiar with white and green ash, and the color hugh is pretty similar, with white ash having deeper bark ridges, also it seems like white ash is taking a bigger hit for the eab around here, but that doesnt mean the greens are not going to succumb, they just might be stretching out life a little longer.

Here’s a pic of the bark, and some nuts I found under the trees. And also one pic of all the trees hung up. You’ll see the bark looks very similar to ash

D5DF7765-D3D8-4E8D-8304-B7031F35C0BC.jpeg 3BE2A2AD-F388-46EC-AAE5-06B869F8D51B.jpeg ACC2421E-7D88-48EF-A993-C157E6301AC2.jpeg B49F0892-144D-4807-AE6B-2D115131BF27.jpeg

They look like the hickory nuts that come off my hickory trees
if I get to them before the squirrels and wild turkeys

That makes me feel a lot better. I had a bunch of trees I thought were some kind of ash at first. I was worried the EAB was going to kill them all.

I’ve been saving any straight ash logs I cut to saw into boards for flooring. I want ash floors in my house. I was telling my wife this might be the only time in our lifetimes we have ash big enough to saw into lumber.

Got my insert installed today and received the free moisture meter…went out and cut down a standing ash that was previously broke 20 ft off the ground, cut and split a few sections and anywhere between 21-23%….gonna get splitting to try and let it dry a little before winter but might be usable this year after all