New Morso 2110 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hillside

Feb 28, 2009
NE Vermont
What is the cast iron "ridling" handle for that comes unattached from the stove?
Thanks

It's a riddle. What is heavy, short and comes with no instructions?

My friend and I were joking about the same thing when we were moving the stove into place to install it. I bought the stove last spring at a discount and it's been sitting in a corner of my basement until now. Now that I look at the entirely unhelpful directions and the entirely ungenerous warranty (already sent in when I purchased it -start a fire and the warranty is void...ok, not really...but close), I sure hope this stove is all it's cracked up to be. I suppose I could call the dealer, but come on, that's like asking for directions when you're lost.

This is a nice stove and works pretty well. Morso is one of the oldest casting companies out there. If you got it at a good price, be happy!

I helped a friend install one last fall and they are very pleased with it. The manual is about average, but adequate. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

It seems that many manuals are disturbingly vague on some points - you'd think for the cost of a good woodstove and the inherent safety issues they'd put a little more effort into it...
If IKEA ever starts selling woodstoves we're really in trouble.

The manual does a decent job of telling you how to burn, break in, etc. It's just not much for explaining extraneous parts. I live in a 1000 sq ft house, from what I hear it should be fine. I'm replacing an old All-Nighter that literally had us walking around in our shorts the entire winter, it was just too much to burn it at a level that prevented creosote formation without feeling like we were living in a sweat lodge.

I have a Morso 1410 squirrel that was 3 years old but barely used when I bought it. It came wih the original Morso bag that was sold with it that contains among other odds and ends some spare rope gasket material and a cast iron handle similar to what you describe. I also have not been able to determine what on earth that handle is for.

I do like the stove by the way; it's perfect for my small cabin.

My friend had a theory about this piece being of use if one switched from top venting to back venting. The reason being there are a couple of spacers and screws as well as gasket included in the odds and ends - the "handle -looking tool" was about the right size to fit across the vent opening, plus the hole in the tool would accomodate the type of screws that were left over.....and so on. I don't know. I'll have it burning within a few days - after I give the chimney its annual cleaning.

A piece of advice on the 2110 if you're top-venting it: take care to align the "draft reducer" so that it is pointing exactly to the rear. If it faces even slightly to one side, it will pull the flame to that side. This isn't a problem if you're rear venting.

The 2110 is a very pleasant stove to use. I'm not sure if it's up to heating 1,000 sq ft - I found it undersized for my 1,100.

Wayneg,

Is this what you're referring to?

wayneg said:
I have a Morso 1410 squirrel that was 3 years old but barely used when I bought it. It came wih the original Morso bag that was sold with it that contains among other odds and ends some spare rope gasket material and a cast iron handle similar to what you describe. I also have not been able to determine what on earth that handle is for.

I do like the stove by the way; it's perfect for my small cabin.

Attachments

• ridlin.jpg
    ridlin.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 757
It is the riddling grate handle that for some reason, Morso seems to include one with all of their stoves, even those that don't have a riddling grate. The picture above is the handle.

I think that pic shows the handle that was in the Morso bag. Hopefully I'll be getting up to the cabin in a few days; I will check it out then and report back.

Thanks leakypuppy, you have solved one of my life's mysteries. I got up to the cabin, and the handle is the one you have pictured. Since I always use gloves to tend the stove, I never imagined the handle would be used to operate the shaker-grate without "feeling the heat". I'm not sure I'll ever use it, but at least now I know what it's for!

Status
Not open for further replies.