new/old Morso 2b parts compatibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

therabbithole

Sep 2, 2014
Columbus, OH
I'm hoping maybe someone with experience retrofitting an older 2b with parts from a newer one might save me a ~2hr trip to a dealer: will the burn plates listed for the current design fit an older (air control at bottom of windowless door) stove? Or will it require a bunch of customization?

If the latter, would it just make more sense to line it with firebrick? The stove I just bought had about 2" of what I assume was refectory cement poured directly into the bottom of the firebox. I had to chip it out in order to get to (and cut) the bolts so I could remove the bottom and drill out the stub of a broken lower front door hinge pin (among other things).

The metalwork is done now and I want to reassemble it, resealing as much as possible, but it looks like maybe the burn plates wouldn't fit through the door and would need to go into the firebox from below.

Does anyone have any advice on whether it's worth trying to get new burn plates to fit, and whether there are any other upgrades I should try to effect with new parts while I've got everything in pieces?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Are the old burn plates still in good condition or are the shot (cracked and starting to warp)? I haven't worked on this stove but I would think they would be sized to fit through the door opening. The burn plates are considered a replaceable part. Measure up the burn plates exact height and then measure the diagonal of the door opening (with the door off) to see if they will pass through. They do on the Jotul 602.

You might give a call to Woodmans (mentioned in other thread) to inquire about parts interchangeability.

Status
Not open for further replies.