New osburn 2400 owner not impressed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering the same thing grisu. From I've seen from my own stove secondaries can stop 20 min into a raging fire . How good did you say your wood is? Some of mine is marginal and can be a pita to keep going even after secondaries have established themselves

Are you talking about removing the jacket? My 2400i has an outer jacket around it. Is that removable?
Yes, that would make the stove more radiant. The radiant heat will warm up nearby objects more quickly. Is it removable? I expect so, but haven't done this as I've never owned an Osburn. But don't do this unless the nearest combustibles are 36" away from the sides and front of the stove.

I've been wondering the same thing grisu. From I've seen from my own stove secondaries can stop 20 min into a raging fire . How good did you say your wood is? Some of mine is marginal and can be a pita to keep going even after secondaries have established themselves
In the same firebox, with good dry hardwood I will see nice secondaries for at least a couple hours.

You say you get the stove up to about 600 F. How long does it stay there? What's the temp after 4 and/or 6 hours?

4-6 hours it's around 300-400. That was my project yesterday I was home all day and kept it a pretty constant 500-600 all day highest temp I saw was 74 for a short time.

If you are working to keep the stove top at those temps something is not right. Not sure what, there are a lot of variables from the wood to the stove operator. You should be able to load it and have above 500 temps for hours.

Reactions: Osagebndr
In the same firebox, with good dry hardwood I will see nice secondaries for at least a couple hours.
I'd say my secondaries don't burn the whole time (haven't paid that much attention to them) I figure the secondaries are for burning smoke, and a good hot fire doesn't make much smoke. Is this accurate? Right now I have a glowing coal bed and parts of a couple wood pieces and no secondary burn.

If you are working to keep the stove top at those temps something is not right. Not sure what, there are a lot of variables from the wood to the stove operator. You should be able to load it and have above 500 temps for hours.
I load it and once fire gets going good I start shuting air down if I don't the wood burns up fairly quickly. I shut the air to get a longer burn. Yesterday I was just throwing a couple pieces in every couple hours just to maintain and not let it cool hardly any.

If the wood is fully seasoned, shutting the air down should not only extend the burn, it should also make the stove top hotter. When burning for good heat I usually go 6-8 hrs before reloading and never toss in a few sticks in between.

You don't necessarily have to shut the air all the way down. I have been leaving mine cracked open a little and get the stove top up to 650-700. Just gotta check it evey once in a while. Secondaries burn the particulates(smoke and gases) from the fire.a small amount of smoke may be visable

How far the air gets shut down depends on the wood, chimney and draft. We shut ours all the way down with a good blaze when temps are below 40F. This is with a straight up 20f flue and well seasoned wood.

I have a 1200 square foot basement that I renovated last year, made two bedrooms, a living room, kitchen, and bathroom. Prior to renovations, it was cold, and damp. I can tell you without doubt. Insulate! I put 2"s of foam on the walls, and then an additional 1" on top of that, staggering the seams. I then studded out the walls and sheet rocked. That basement is now even more efficient than my home, which has r19 walls, and r38 in the attic. I can say without question that your problem is insulation, and for the cost of it, it's simply the best investment you can make in comfort and efficiency. Combine that with seasoned wood and you will be trying to figure out how to tone your 2400 DOWN, not UP! Bonus, you won't feel that mildew/humidity in the summer either! I've lived in my home nearly 30 years, have heated with wood all that time, and I can tell you it was a pain to do, but was without doubt one of the best things I've ever done to my home! Start thinking in this direction, you won't be sorry!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.