New OSHA silica standard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Its been coming for years but finally has hit the streets. https://www.osha.gov/silica/

Going to be plenty of old dry cutting gear hitting the streets and a lot of contractors getting fined. I expect just like asbestos work, every job will need to third party testing firm to do the mandatory testing.

This summer I saw a lot of masonry work being done in my neighborhood. I saw one guy cutting pavers morning to late afternoon, dust blowing everywhere, no mask, no gloves. He looked to be from Mexico or Central America. I wondered if he knew or cared what the dust could do to his lungs.

I don't know how they are ever going to enforce this rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: saydinli
Its pretty simple OSHA self funds, every job site they go near will get hit with fine. Generally the little guys ignore the rules as OSHA rarely goes after them unless they have an accident. That's what a LLC is for.