New overfeeding auger motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dubbz

Jan 18, 2007
Pocono Mts, Pennsylvania
I bought a new 2 RPM CW auger motor for my EP 25I from Earth sense energy parts store. It's an aftermarket motor that was very inexpensive at 37 bucks. The motor is quiet enough but definatley overfeeds even on the 1 feed rate. Someone posted on here that 2 RPM motors from China have been known to turn at 2.4 RPM thus making sense of my problem. Since there is no way electrically to slow the motor down, I need to find a way to slow the amount of pellets dropping in the burnpot. Any thoughts on making a piece of aluminum metal to fit over half the auger inthe hopper? I know I'm spitballing here on ideas. I get no answer from the company and their return policy is void if it's installed. I guess you get what you pay for. Any ideas would be appreciated,

Necessity is the mother of invention and some units do have a shutter in the hopper. Give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Nice thing about my 6039 is I can program the algorithm to reduce pellet intake if I want to.

Thanks Sidecar, I guess I'll experiment with a piece of aluminum covering the auger at different height with aluminum tape. Thanks again for the quick response.
If it works, fashion one from light gauge sheet metal and Tek screw it to the hopper. Like I said, some units come with a shutter.

As a follow up, I cleaned and oiled the original motor and installed it back in. Here;s where i'm stumped. The original auger motor took 17 seconds to make 1 revolution. The new motor took 22 seconds to go 1 revolution. How in the world can the new motor have spit out so many more pellets? I'm baffled.