New OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pbrooks

Feb 29, 2008
North central MA
Hi everyone, I am researching a new boiler for my house. Our current unit is a Greenwood Aspen 175/Empyre Pro Series. It has recently suffered from catastrophic failure of the firebox/water jacket. It has been running for us for 10+ years. I have fixed everything on it, leaking gaskets, blown fans, melted door, broken firebrick, etc. I installed it in October of 2018. I believe that it was the first or second EP certified unit in my town.
With that being said I am looking for a more reliable unit with less moving parts.
I am open to any manufacturer that has a viable warranty (mine ran out upon installation)
House is 2,500 square feet, new shop will be an additional 1500 square feet.
Laws and regulations aside, what is my best option? No one will know if I change out my boiler, as my closest neighbors are 1000+ yards away. I am also considering a metal shed over the new boiler to give me a place to work that is dry.

Thanks for your advice...

Hi everyone, I am researching a new boiler for my house. Our current unit is a Greenwood Aspen 175/Empyre Pro Series. It has recently suffered from catastrophic failure of the firebox/water jacket. It has been running for us for 10+ years. I have fixed everything on it, leaking gaskets, blown fans, melted door, broken firebrick, etc. I installed it in October of 2018. I believe that it was the first or second EP certified unit in my town.
With that being said I am looking for a more reliable unit with less moving parts.
I am open to any manufacturer that has a viable warranty (mine ran out upon installation)
House is 2,500 square feet, new shop will be an additional 1500 square feet.
Laws and regulations aside, what is my best option? No one will know if I change out my boiler, as my closest neighbors are 1000+ yards away. I am also considering a metal shed over the new boiler to give me a place to work that is dry.

Thanks for your advice...

Heatmaster G series can be installed in a shed. One of the few that I've heard positive reviews in several places- that said I have no direct experience with one.

Think about a Gasifier and storage before you pull the trigger.
You storage could be placed in you shop,my self i built a building to house my heating system,eventually it will be connected to my shop with a breezway so i can utilize the extra heat in the boiler building,none of my piping is insulated in the building.

You storage could be placed in you shop,my self i built a building to house my heating system,eventually it will be connected to my shop with a breezway so i can utilize the extra heat in the boiler building,none of my piping is insulated in the building.

I second this thought. I ran my OWB for 10 years and was to the point I couldn't keep up with the wood consumption. I made the decision and started scrounging parts a couple of years before I pulled the plug on the OWB. I got my tanks cheap at a scrap yard, found a good used boiler, and converted my wood shed into a boiler shed. It was a lot of work, and not for everyone, but I am more than happy with the move

Reactions: sloeffle

Echo this. A new shop being planned, at the same time a boiler swap is, is opportunity. Think boiler, storage and wood in all one heated space. If not the wood too, at least put it under cover in an attached leantoo or the like. Adapt your plans for it.

Failing that, I'd second the Heatmaster mention above.

Fyi, any gasser needs wood cut, split and preferably stacked for at least one year. 18+ months is better.

But you will decrease the amount of wood used per year. OWB vs a good gasser? If you burned 10 cord with an OWB easily figure 7.5 with a gasser. I really think it'll be closer to 6 cord, if set up properly.

11yrs ago the infamous E-classic OWB claimed with their unit a cord of wood replaced 100 gals of oil.

My gasser replaced 150 to close to 175 gals of oil. I used 10 yrs of oil history in my house to figure that..

But, you need seasoned wood. A minimum of 12 months drying. 18+ months is better.

Reactions: sloeffle and maple1