New Piazzatta Sabrina firmware with the Self Cleaning cycle in L1 and L2?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoodleWamer

Jan 21, 2016
Eastern Washington
I saw a post that mentioned a new firmware for Piazzetta Sabrina that has a self cleaning cycle in L1 and L2 when using energy saver mode. Has anyone seen a newer firmware with that feature?

My 2012 Sabrina that I just bought new has SP40 SV MV1-1-115 firmware. I just did a test fire today, started at 10:00, set it on P3 with room temp set at 68 and by the 6pm the house temp was 78. It was a mild day, outside temps were 32-40 degrees. I'm afraid to use energy savings without the self cleaning because I don't want to have to be doing manual cleaning when self cleaning will keep things clean for me.

Thanks to all that post on this forum. I have read every post that I could find about Piazzetta stoves on this forum which gave me the confidence I could manage without close dealer support. I bought a stove that was a floor display (never fired) from a dealer 350 miles away. Got a great deal and saved $500 even after paying for gas over buying from the local dealers who didn't really impress me with answers to my questions.

Pascal, a dealer in Quebec, should have the answer on the firmware so be patient for him to show up or PM him. With the current house temp, you may want to review where you have positioned your room temp sensor (probe?) I know I leave mine down near the floor for when we get really cold weather ... keeps up a bit better that way but we can get -50. When milder, the stove does tend to keep it a little warmer than what the probe is sensing down near the floor.

Welcome to the forum!! I'm guessing those poodles love their new warm friend;lol

Reactions: PoodleWamer
I saw a post that mentioned a new firmware for Piazzetta Sabrina that has a self cleaning cycle in L1 and L2 when using energy saver mode. Has anyone seen a newer firmware with that feature?

My 2012 Sabrina that I just bought new has SP40 SV MV1-1-115 firmware. I just did a test fire today, started at 10:00, set it on P3 with room temp set at 68 and by the 6pm the house temp was 78. It was a mild day, outside temps were 32-40 degrees. I'm afraid to use energy savings without the self cleaning because I don't want to have to be doing manual cleaning when self cleaning will keep things clean for me.

Thanks to all that post on this forum. I have read every post that I could find about Piazzetta stoves on this forum which gave me the confidence I could manage without close dealer support. I bought a stove that was a floor display (never fired) from a dealer 350 miles away. Got a great deal and saved $500 even after paying for gas over buying from the local dealers who didn't really impress me with answers to my questions.
As Lake Girl says, Pascal would know. My Sabrina was purchased in Fall 2013, and it has a similar version, SP40 SC MV1.1.115.

As for the cleaning cycle, it helps a little, but I wouldn't let that stop you from using Energy Saver mode. You are in Washington, and probably will be using doug fir pellets, and those are very clean, low-ash pellets. That'll have a far greater effect upon how clean your grate is than the self-cleaning cycle. Either way, you should plan on giving the pot a quick scrape once a day, until you get comfortable to adjust your routine. Good luck to you!

Part of my concern is that on energy savings, the stove will shut off completely. Today it is up to 40 deg F outside and the stove burns for 35-40 min then shuts down for 90-120 min. I'm concerned that I'll have to replace the igniter much sooner than if it kept a low burn going most of the time. Maybe I have too much stove.

Retired 4 years ago, so I'm home most days. So I have lots of time to fiddle with the stove.

Fiddle away so you figure out what works best for you. I know you can set it up on a time schedule too.

I grew up in a farmhouse with an oil room heater (no circulation fan) and a wood cookstove. Our workshop was heated with a 2 barrel woodstove. After I moved to the big city, i've burned wood with a Lopi free standing, an Earth stove insert and a couple of Blaze Queen/Kings. So I have lots of wood heat experience. Decided about 10 years ago it was way too much work to drive out an get my 3-4 cords of wood for free on forest service land (did have to spend $25 for permit though). Sold my wood stoves. Re-roofed my house 6 years ago and planned on putting in a pellet stove someday.

Someday came around when I found the great deal on the Sabrina the 18th. Up to now, my exposure to pellet stoves has only been with a couple of older models that have manual ignition and minimal features. So I'm obviously way behind the learning curve with the Sabrina.

So far I have only used Lignetics Premium pellets that sells for $3.84 per bag or $184/ton (big savings --LOL) at the local builders supply. I went with the Sabrina because I didn't think the smaller 40# hopper of the Monia would last a whole day without refilling with a partial bag. After using the Sabrina this week, that fear might have been unfounded except for the 2-3 weeks where we get close to or below zero here. My other stoves of choice were a Harman (I didn't like the radiant heat) or a Ravelli. Was set to buy a Ravelli RV-100 but found the Sabrina for a significant savings so bought it.

I just vacuumed out the firebox while it was in a power down mode for 2.5 hours. And I really enjoyed the autostart just now when it decided it was time for more heat. I just want this stove to last a long time.

Hope you have read the Piazzetta section on the first page of the pellet forum. Pascal passed on a lot of tips on how to get the most out of your stove ... Keep us posted on how you make out!

Thank you, yes I have read it. It was one of my first bookmarks when researching which stove to get. It was because of the available information here that made me feel like I could deal with any problems that might come up.

How are you finding the pellet heat compared to the wood stove? Have a friend who is thinking of switching due to the amount of work and a back disability. He's probably still got about 2-3 years wood stored but wondering how he'll adjust to the heat style change...

Your pricing on the Lignetics seems to be pretty good...it was actually a good deal!

I like the Sabrina better than the wood stove because the air flow gets to both ends of the house and not just the corner where the wood stove was. The fan on the Sabrina is much quieter. Also pellets are a lot less messy than the wood. I was always cleaning bark debris and ashes up around the wood stove. The only way the wood stove bests the Sabrina is it works in a power outage, but a small generator will fix that since it requires under 150 watts running. My only minor gripe is the door handle, I may have to make one to keep fixed on the door permantly.

Part of my concern is that on energy savings, the stove will shut off completely. Today it is up to 40 deg F outside and the stove burns for 35-40 min then shuts down for 90-120 min. I'm concerned that I'll have to replace the igniter much sooner than if it kept a low burn going most of the time. Maybe I have too much stove.
40 F is not all that cold, so I'm not at all surprised if it shut down under Energy Saver mode. As for too much stove, most stoves on their lowest settings are in around the same BTU output range. The Sabrina is 11k btus. A smaller stove might be 9 to 10k, not a huge difference.

My first year, I ran Energy Saver with no issues, but I'm not a big fan of shutdowns and restarts as well. Seems like more chance for a fault to occur. I wasn't so concerned about the igniter failing, as you can always get a backup igniter.

Just had the county building inspector here to approve the building permit. He liked everything except the fact he couldn't find a UL listing number, only a ULC. He is going back to the office to see if he can find out if the stove is acceptable or not.

The Piazzetta installation manual only lists the UL number on the reference page, doesn't state it meets the standard anywhere. Going to be searching internet for help now.

The manual shows the ETL Intertek testing label on the back of the stove. Intertek did the standards tests on the stove.

This is from the ETL listing directory.

http://tinyurl.com/jp6alkg

Title: PELLET FUEL-BURNING TYPE 1 ROOM HEATERS ecblank.gif
Company: GRUPPO PIAZZETTA S.P.A. - Casella D'Asolo, Treviso ITALY ecblank.gif
Product Information: Pellet Room Heater, Model Nos. P followed by 955, 956, 957, 960, 961, 962. ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif ecblank.gif ecblank.gif
Evaluated to the following: A representative sample of the listed devices have been tested, investigated and found to comply with the requirements of the Standard(s) for Pellet Fuel-Burning Type 1 Room Heaters (ASTM-E1509) and are identified with the Warnock Hersey & ETL Listed Marks.

Thanks, I'll send him the link.
I did show him the ETL label and the ULC designation. Unfortunately according to his rule book he wants it to say "UL" and "1482". I even went to the Washington State EPA site that shows the stove as meeting the stricter standards for WA.

Dude needs to read his own building codes. The Spokane County building and planning bulletin BP38 states:

"Listed appliances: In addition to the above emission related requirements, appliances which are “approved” or “listed” by approved testing agencies, such as Underwriters Laboratories (U.L.), the International Code Council (I.C.C.), etc., are strongly recommended—these units have been tested and approved under extreme conditions. If you have purchased or are using a “listed” appliance, follow the listing instructions for installation and clearance requirements."

http://www.spokanecounty.org/data/buildingandplanning/cpi/brochures/bp38_WoodStove.pdf

The operative words are "such as Underwriters Laboratories (U.L.), the International Code Council (I.C.C.), etc.". ASTM and ETL easily meet that requirement. It does not specify that it has to be UL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pascal_Maertens
He turfed the question to somebody up the chain, maybe they have better information. He did say he has never seen one of these Italian stoves before. One of the dealers told me he has sold over 20 Monia and Sabrina stoves in the last couple of years so this should have come up before. If the worst comes to pass and he disapproves the installation, I'll try to get the dealer to contact some of his customers and find out who their inspector was and ask for a new inspection.

Here's the link to the Washington State EPA approved pellet stoves
. It is worth looking at to compare the particulate emissions of different stoves.

Last edited:
Reminds me of my liner inspections. I had to educate the inspector on chimney liners since he had never seen one before. <>

Hi guys, I just sent an e-mail to a friend in Italy regarding that new firmware but for what I remember it was not only the firmware that was needed for that P1 and P2 self cleaning I think they had to change the Motherboard but I'll let you know when I get the answer

There is also now a new way to make the firmware update with out the use of a boot loader, the software it's called Seraminet. Since I own a boot loader I haven't used the Seraminet software yet, I also asked if there was a manual for this software cause I cant really do nothing with it.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible

regards
Pascal Maertens

we also have a chimney called Excel from ICC that is only 1'' but is certified since 20 years now and still some inspectors say to are customer that they will not insure their house cause they thinks that 1'' is not certified for wood burning, we have to send them a copy of the certification papers...

Thanks Pascal.

The dealer rep is trying to figure out how to get new firmware for me, sure hope it doesn't need a motherboard update as that may cost a bit.

The inspector sent me a text saying he would approve the stove, but he didn't say what changed his mind. Will ask when he comes to sign off the permit.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Probably educated himself on the stove and its approvals. One forum member had a fire marshal show up at her house and they had never seen a pellet stove before and didn't know if it was "legal" :rolleyes: If you take an educational and helpful stance with inspectors by providing good information, you usually have no problem.

Just got the approval signature for building permit and building sticker for my stove. Inspector said that he couldn't find anything to cause him to disprove it and he said the WA Dept of Ecology site showing the stove passed their tests was the final deciding factor for approval.
Now just waiting for new firmware from local distributor. Will post update when I get it.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Just got the approval signature for building permit and building sticker for my stove. Inspector said that he couldn't find anything to cause him to disprove it and he said the WA Dept of Ecology site showing the stove passed their tests was the final deciding factor for approval.
Now just waiting for new firmware from local distributor. Will post update when I get it.
hey plz let me know if you get something cause have not received noting on my side for now, Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.